Fixing a friend's comp

malakian88

Baseband Member
Hello. I have been trying to fix my friends computer and one problem has got me totally confused. His CPU usage just skyrockets when just two programs are open... even ones that use small amounts of memory. Could this be caused by a worm? With his system, it doesn't seem like it would be the hardware. Has anyone else seen this problem? Thanx

I know this much about his system
--------
512 MB DDR RAM
1.5 P4
40GB Maxtor

:confused:

Maybe the lil 1.5 cant handle it i guess. What are the two programs?

malakian88 said:
Hello. I have been trying to fix my friends computer and one problem has got me totally confused. His CPU usage just skyrockets when just two programs are open... even ones that use small amounts of memory. Could this be caused by a worm? With his system, it doesn't seem like it would be the hardware. Has anyone else seen this problem? Thanx

I know this much about his system
--------
512 MB DDR RAM
1.5 P4
40GB Maxtor

You said it,so scan for worms.
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

Lol, true. Next time I'm over I'm gunna run a scan for worms etc. I've already removed spyware and adware with several programs... so his computer is good for all that. I just checked with one of my other friends who has a very similar system and he doesn't have any trouble running more than 2 programs (for the one with the problem, it doesn't really matter what programs... its just kind of spazzes no matter what the normal CPU usage would be). So most likely he has a worm. Hopefully its something simple-ish like that. I should be able to remove whatever's in there.

--Thanx

malakian88 said:
Lol, true. Next time I'm over I'm gunna run a scan for worms etc. I've already removed spyware and adware with several programs... so his computer is good for all that. I just checked with one of my other friends who has a very similar system and he doesn't have any trouble running more than 2 programs (for the one with the problem, it doesn't really matter what programs... its just kind of spazzes no matter what the normal CPU usage would be). So most likely he has a worm. Hopefully its something simple-ish like that. I should be able to remove whatever's in there.

--Thanx

Not really,it's just a case of not understanding "Multitasking"
People actually think they can watch a movie and Scandisk at the same time LOL
:D :D
So do some splainin "Lucy"
:rolleyes:

eeehhh, i dont think its just a problem of not understanding certain aspects of the computer (of course, i may be wrong there could have been a program running in the background i didn't notice the first time).... but i don't know how to give an appropriate expample of whats happening. on most systems like his that i've worked on... i've had no trouble doing things that he does on his.... but his computer just sllllllooooowwwwsss down to an unhealthy level. its definitely not normal. i'm going to his house in a few days. so i'm gunna get this straightened out.

Back
Top Bottom