External Backup

E

entity512

Im on the hunt for an external hardrive (USB2). And a back up program. I want a reliable HDD with about 40GB in it, if you have experience with a good once please tell me. And also i'd like to make a image of a harddrive with xp pro, and store it on the external drive - so i'll need some kinda program..dont know which. free ones are very good :)

I have two WD hard drives Cavair 8mbs cache and 80 gig storage capacity. They are really nice drives and very very reliable.

I accidently dropped my computer about three feet or a meter and they are still working. My bios tell me they might be going bad, but what should have been a fatal incident wasnt. They are still working fine months afterwards.

I would say that these drives are about as reliable as the come. You should be able to find them for as cheap as 30 pounds a simularly configured is only 2.5 pounds cheaper so its probably worth it to get the 80 gig one.

Never backed anything up since my hard drives have been so reliable, so I cant recommend any backup solutions.

sorry, i ment i am looking for an external. I already got a 80GB Diamondmax 9 (maxtor) lined up, getting another one and maybe running some rad array. But i need an external solution

In the magazine PC Upgrade, there was a little article about backup software. Both SuperCool Zip Backup and V Communications AutoSave achieved 4 out of 5 stars. SuperCool's software is $45 and V Communications' is $29. I hope that helps.

making a harddrive image is easy as pie :)

Code:
cat /dev/hda > /mnt/exhd/hda.image

orrrrrrrrr

Code:
dd if=/dev/hda of=/mnt/exhd/hda.image

to make sure it worked, compare the output of:
Code:
md5sum /dev/hda; md5sum /mnt/exhd/hda.image

boot off a knoppix cd or any other nix bootable thingy that knows what usb-storage is.

Back
Top Bottom