Copying Windows XP

kianoosh

Beta member
I was wondering if you guys could help me to solve this problem :
I just bought a new hard drive and I'm trying to copy my information (everything) from my old hard drive on it.
I have Windows XP Professional on my old hard drive and I can't find any way to copy the whole C:\ to my new hard drive.
I have some really important programs that I wouldn't want to lose on my old hard drive and I need to keep the old windows to run my programs.
I tried to do it by booting my PC with a win98 startup disk but it can't copy all the windows XP files to my new hard drive.
How can I copy the old hard drive to the new one without losing any of the information ?

It should be real simple depending on your computer condifuration.

I am guessing you had an EIDE hard drive.

First:
Just look at the cable that connects you hard drive to your motherboard. Next see if that same cable connects to anything else.

If it does, then unplug it from that. Take your new hard drive and plug that into the same cable your old one is plugged into and boot up.

When in windows you can just simply copy and paste the info onto your new hard drive.

Make sure you have the new XP os installed on your new hard drive before you do this.

Also hard drives have jumpers on them. You may have to adjust those to make one of your hard drives the slave and the other the master.

If not adjusted properly your computer wont work properly

If you have any questions about how your jumpers should be configured check the label on your hard drive it should have all the information on how jumpers shoulf be placed.

You totally got me wrong.
I have no hardware problems.
let's make it more simple :
All I'm trying to do is copy my C:\ with everything that's in it to for example D:\, and I have a Windows XP professional on my c:\.
I don't wanna install a new windows, I just wanna throw away my old hard drive without having to reinstall or change anything. I couldn't do it through MS-DOS because some of the files can't be copied that way and I couldn't find any way to force it.
I want an exact copy of my old C:\ on the new hard drive.

airiox said:
It should be real simple depending on your computer condifuration.

I am guessing you had an EIDE hard drive.

First:
Just look at the cable that connects you hard drive to your motherboard. Next see if that same cable connects to anything else.

If it does, then unplug it from that. Take your new hard drive and plug that into the same cable your old one is plugged into and boot up.

When in windows you can just simply copy and paste the info onto your new hard drive.

Make sure you have the new XP os installed on your new hard drive before you do this.

Also hard drives have jumpers on them. You may have to adjust those to make one of your hard drives the slave and the other the master.

If not adjusted properly your computer wont work properly

If you have any questions about how your jumpers should be configured check the label on your hard drive it should have all the information on how jumpers shoulf be placed.

Back
Top Bottom