Strange Computer Problem...

Java_Dude1

Solid State Member
Hi, I'm new to the boards and I think they're kinda cool. :)

Anyhow, I've been having this strange problem with my comp lately. See, my friend gave me a computer with a friend motherboard and I finally got a chance to use some of the parts for my current one. I swapped in a CD-RW Drive first and it works fine. Then I put in a new CD-ROM drive from the computer and my comp just stalls for around a min or 2 at bootup. After that it starts up like normal.

If i go into "My Computer" it detects the drive as if everything was normal and it can play CD's too. I'm just wondering why it stalls my computer everytime it starts up? I checked to make sure everything was OK in the BIOS, it appeared to be... :confused:

I have the CD-ROM drive set as master, the CD-RW as slave. Everything was working fine with the old ROM, except for the fact that the thing was so slow and I was lucky to be able to listen to a CD! :rolleyes:

If it helps, i have an Emachines comp, 192mb RAM, 633mhz processor (yea, its kinda old) and its running windows XP Pro with all the SP's. Thx for any help!

Well, the other computer wasn't mine, but I asked my friend about it and he said everything was working fine until the mobo went. I figured that the hardware would be ok and that only the mobo was no good, especially since the CD burner works alright... :confused:

anyone have any ideas? Thx again!

Java_Dude said:
Hi, I'm new to the boards and I think they're kinda cool. :)

Anyhow, I've been having this strange problem with my comp lately. See, my friend gave me a computer with a friend motherboard and I finally got a chance to use some of the parts for my current one. I swapped in a CD-RW Drive first and it works fine. Then I put in a new CD-ROM drive from the computer and my comp just stalls for around a min or 2 at bootup. After that it starts up like normal.

If i go into "My Computer" it detects the drive as if everything was normal and it can play CD's too. I'm just wondering why it stalls my computer everytime it starts up? I checked to make sure everything was OK in the BIOS, it appeared to be... :confused:

I have the CD-ROM drive set as master, the CD-RW as slave. Everything was working fine with the old ROM, except for the fact that the thing was so slow and I was lucky to be able to listen to a CD! :rolleyes:

If it helps, i have an Emachines comp, 192mb RAM, 633mhz processor (yea, its kinda old) and its running windows XP Pro with all the SP's. Thx for any help!
I have the CD-ROM drive set as master
======
This should be your Windows C: hard drive.
Cdrom drives should be slaves,but all the jumpers have to say so.
Read your mbd manual about ide connections.
;)

Lol I got confuzed, I meant that both the Cd-Rom and RW are on the secondary ide connectors. I havent changed any of the jumpers or cables, I just swapped the drives from one computer that had a fried mobo to my computer im using now. sorry for any confusion!

I have no idea what to do now. Does anyone have any ideas?

case problem

hello if someone could help me please...my case"rosewill tu-155" has a different power switch connection than usual cases...its has a 2-pin connection...now in the pics from the site shows it has an adaptor attached to it but i have no idea what it is called and where to find it...if someone could please help me thank you...

Java_Dude said:
Lol I got confuzed, I meant that both the Cd-Rom and RW are on the secondary ide connectors. I havent changed any of the jumpers or cables, I just swapped the drives from one computer that had a fried mobo to my computer im using now. sorry for any confusion!

Ok i'll get a little testy,
Open Explore,are all your drive letter there ? eg"
A C D E F G ?
Can you read the files in all of them? You must have a disk in the cd drives.I know you knew that but don't say it.ok.
:confused:

are you stupid?
He already said he can read from all the drives?
he's given you that information already, so why are you getting testy?
You shouldn't have the C drive as slave to a hard disk if you can help as the buss speed on C drives is only ATA33 and this slows down your hard disk, as the bus only goes at the speed of the slowest device.
The most likely problem I can think as to why our computer stals whilst booting is that it is set to detect the drives on start up and it takes a while. (in which case set the drive to a D drive in the bios).
or your computer is set to search for boo records on theCD drive before the IDE drive. in which case go into the Bios and change it.

Java_Dude said:

Relax for a start, a slow boot isn't a big deal.Is that your main concern is ?
Inspite of other nasty stuff,Can you read this cdrom after this awfull slow startup of 2 minutes.Does your computer work.
The more drives you have the longer it takes for
Momma
to detect,check your memory and proceed to Windows.
How fast do you expect ?
;)
Kind of like getting ready for school,
Put on your pants,tie your shoes,get your coat,kiss momma goodby.
Now it's kiss momma hello.
;)

Back
Top Bottom