JimHa's Idea to beat the Windows XP activation issue

JimHa

Baseband Member
I and I'm sure many others are not happy with the way Microsoft put the activation stuff on windows XP home and pro. I have 2 computers that I've been re-installing windows XP on every 30 days because of the activation. Thanks to this I started researching how the activation works.

In my research I've found out that the way windows activates your windows is it takes down serial numbers, MAC addresses(if possible) and a whole bunch of other unique numbers that I can't remember off the top of my head from the following:

-display adapter
-SCSI adapter
-NIC card
-RAM amount range
-processor type
-processor serial number
-hard drive volume and serial number
-CD-ROM drives .. incuding CD-Rs CD-RWs and DVD-ROMs

These are what tells your windows if your trying to activate your copy of windows XP from a different computer or not. What's good about this system is that you can re-install windows on the activated computer as much as possible. The bad about this system is that one major upgrade on your activated computer and chances are you won't be allowed to activate again. On windows's activation they have what's called a "tolerance" what this means is that the parts that were in your computer when it was activated are the ones that are inspected in that computer every single time you activate. Microsoft understands that parts break down so what they created a system where at least 70% of the computers parts that were in the computer when it was activated must be in there when its going to be re-activated

My idea is to take ONLY the hard drive from the two computers that have windows XP home unactivated and then install that hard drive inside my computer temporarily that I activated windows XP from. From this point I would format the hard drive (which is currently temporarily in the place of my computers real hard drive), install windows XP and then activate it. Than i'd be done and the problems solved.

Do you guys think this could work ? Any suggestions or criticism would be appreciated.

why dont you quit your software piracy?

:p

ive never had a problem with windows xp activation.
im kind of glad they do it, and am hoping in future they take more extreme measures.

You are allowed to make something along the lines of 5 significant hardware changes, you can't install XP as many times as you like,
well (to rephrase), you can nistall XP as many times as you like, on as many machines as you like, but only within a reasonable time frame,
Your idea won't work forever because as soon as yuou acivate the first copy the details will have been sent to MS, so when you activate the second copy you wont be able to (depending on how many times you've tried this).

The easiest thingo do would be to install the copy and activate it on one computer, then install the softwre on another computer, if t won't activate phone microsoft and their Automatic phone answering system will give you another key no questions asked.

err. So how do pirated XP disks work? My grandmother has a fake xp pro disk, i was gunna' use it on my new pc. Hers was not even registerd as of she didnt even have a modem in her pc... How was this bypassed

if you have a hacked corperate version, you don't have to activate it, so you don't need a modem

0x54 said:
why dont you quit your software piracy?

:p

ive never had a problem with windows xp activation.
im kind of glad they do it, and am hoping in future they take more extreme measures.
I never said I was pirating anything, I bought my copy of Windows XP home fully legally at a computer show all I'm saying is how the whole activation system is bullshit. Sure Microsoft has the right to put the activation in windows XP but at the end of the day is it really the right thing to do to make someone pay 80-300 dollars(what I've seen it run for) for an operating system that can only run on only one computer? If you want to believe that then that's fine... to each his own but I think what M$ did was [editted reference to sexual endeavour] up.

Thanks for the replys guys I'm gonna be trying this out in a few days. When that happens I'll put the results in this thread.

-JimHa

just call microsoft and tell them that you had to reformat and replace something in your pc. I had problems activating one time, but I left it alone for a few days then tried again and it worked...I didn't do anything, haven't had a problem since.

I also have a copied version of windows XP, never had a problem with it either. Of course, it's my version that I paid for, I just copied it....but still

the problem here is you don't seem to understand the Licensing scheme.
You don't buy a copy of windows XP, you don't own windows XP, you own a license to use windows XP. and that license covers only one PC.
If you bought a copy and actually owned the OS then you could do what you like with it.

Back
Top Bottom