Some Stupid Questions

get _fighted

Baseband Member
I recently got into upgrading my computer (well, hiring some to do it. I buy the parts though :D ) and I have a few questions.

1) Someone explain what a DDR Video Card is (god I feel like an idiot) and what the difference between that and a non-DDR one (also, what is DDR ram?)
2) Why is there a Radeon 128mb video card for $100, and another Radeon 128mb for $300? What is the difference? (sorry for lack of detail on the cards)
3) How do you figure out what type of slot-things (like AGP or PCI) your computer has? I'm 95% sure mine has PCI, but I want to be certain before I buy a video card.

Once you're done laughing at me, please answer (and please answer my video card question a few posts down :) )

Well i am not quite sure I am done yet but lol lol

Well DDR stands for Double Data Rate which means it works twice as fast. If you can find a card that doesnt have DDR then you are looking too hard. All new cards have various types of DDR ram.

The ram on the video card doesnt tell you how nice the card is. EX: a geforce 5200 is not a very good card but it can have up to 256 mb of ram on it.

Both mainstream companies have numbered there cards so ex a 5200 is lower than a 6800 or a 8500 is lover than a 9800. you see. that is the easiest way for a newbie to understand card speed and class etc.

Here is sorta what agp looks like http://www.hardtecs4u.com/reviews/2001/agp4x_e/index2.php
if you hav an agp slot you will want an agp card.

What brand is you comp? and how old is it?

get _fighted said:
I recently got into upgrading my computer (well, hiring some to do it. I buy the parts though :D ) and I have a few questions.

1) Someone explain what a DDR Video Card is (god I feel like an idiot) and what the difference between that and a non-DDR one (also, what is DDR ram?)
2) Why is there a Radeon 128mb video card for $100, and another Radeon 128mb for $300? What is the difference? (sorry for lack of detail on the cards)
3) How do you figure out what type of slot-things (like AGP or PCI) your computer has? I'm 95% sure mine has PCI, but I want to be certain before I buy a video card.

Once you're done laughing at me, please answer (and please answer my video card question a few posts down :) )

You chose the components,so didn't you at least know if the mbd Video slots accepted PCI or AGP video ?
Did you really study this ? i did the same and i'm quite happy.

get _fighted said:

There are programs which can tell you what system components you have, like AIDA32.

Not everyone "studies" Bluto. We are here so people don't have to. He's new, give him a break you old fart.

;hahaahahahahaa old fart. hehe.

well usually if u see three or more uniform slots at the bottom of your motherboard, those are the PCI slots.

Most motherboards have only 1 AGp slot, and they're placed above the PCI slots.

SO it will look like this,
AGP _
PCI _
PCI _
PCI _

those are the slots. AGP's are set slightly more to the right.

Man this is getting annnoying. I bet half of Barrats posts are just about how stupid Bluto is.

Okay we know that you two hate each other. Get over it. All you know about each other is how they write.

I am not taking anyones side because both of your sides suck. Why down you just PM each other every hour expressing your opinions on how much you hate each other than none of us will have to read it.

Thank you :p

well, to airox's suggestion of

Why down you just PM each other every hour expressing your opinions on how much you hate each other than none of us will have to read it.

we can't

his mailbox is full
he can't be sent any more pm's.

i've tried so many times.

but never got through.

TibsBeatAll said:
well, to airox's suggestion of

Why down you just PM each other every hour expressing your opinions on how much you hate each other than none of us will have to read it.

we can't

his mailbox is full
he can't be sent any more pm's.

i've tried so many times.

but never got through.

I think both users should be removed from the site....just my opinion

Back
Top Bottom