Amd Faster Than Intel

Barrett

In Runtime
I don't know if many of you know this, I may be recycling old news, so if so, let me know. I think most of you pro AMD people will enjoy this. I was reading a magazine article entitled "Hyper Threading Not For Everyone." It stated while hyper threading can be useful, it can actually slow down your gaming performance. I guess this is so because it splits up it's speed or something even when you are running one app! I was teetering twoards the Intel side until I heard htis bit of info. The magazine even went as far as to disable hyperthreading when doing benchmarks vs. AMD, btw AMD won most gaming benchmarks! Don't get all pissed at me I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just really pro AMD when it comes to gaming because of their performance and value, the benchmarks don't lie!

it's true, AMD does outperform Intel chips at any given frequency, thats why chips such as the AND XP2000+ are always compared to the 2GHz pentium chips, even though the AMD chip only runs at 1.6GHz.
even with the Intel chips runing at a faster clock rate they are still often outperformed by the (cheaper) AMD chips.
http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/hardware/reviews/xp2000/
http://www.lostcircuits.com/cpu/northwood/
despite looking technically better in this link, Intel still lost to AMD of a lesser core and FSB speed.
http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-83-1.htm

(are those the links you needed to see?)

It's in the June issue of PC Upgrade, that's all I know. They have a big proccessor competition article. The four tests conducted were: PCMark 04 (Of course intel won this one), 3DMark 03, 3DMark 01, and AquaMark3 CPU. The AMD Athlon 3200+ beats the Intel 3.2 Prescott in all of the tests but PCMark 04. Then the AMD Athlon 64 3400+ beats the 3.4 P4EE in 3DMark 2001 and AquaMark3 CPU.

I don't know much about performance testing but why is the 04, what I would take as the newest and best one, brushed aside? And why of course, although thats what I was saying, Intel won it?

Why are there other tests from previous years or version numbers?

I presume it states the Prescott used in the Test is a HT EE; which is the competitor of the 3200+?

thats why AMD named the processors as they did, 2600 performs as good or better than a P4 2.6 ghz, 3000 performs as good or better than a p4 3.0 ghz etc... don't worry about the clock speed

I actualy heard the product numbers were nothing to do with intel. It is in comparison to the old Thunderbird series

That is a very good article on Toms Hardware Airox, I had read that article a while back. I said what I said Lord because PCMark is a cpu intensive benchmark, and Intel almost always wins benchmarks that have to do with application performance. Also what did you mean when you said "is the prescott an EE?" Can a prescott be an Extreme Edition?

I only linked to older tests because they were the first things that came out when I googled for "AMD vs INTEL"

Back
Top Bottom