Help messed up hard drive

Jim Boom

Solid State Member
I need help with my other comp. I formated the master hard drive (erased) while using an OS on the slave hard drive, worked fine then turned it back on and it doesnt start up, somehow I need to get all the drivers and stuff thats not suposed to be deleted back onto the master drive but im lost.

Jim Boom said:
I need help with my other comp. I formated the master hard drive (erased) while using an OS on the slave hard drive, worked fine then turned it back on and it doesnt start up, somehow I need to get all the drivers and stuff thats not suposed to be deleted back onto the master drive but im lost.

You mean the master hard drive wont boot in, probably as you'll need to reinstall you OS 1st :)

Yeah, or swap the Jumpers so the slave is the master and the master is the slave so that it will boot up. If you've formatted the master it'll look on there and won't find a Boot.ini - so it won't start up. With the slave's OS installed it'll boot up form there.

Or as Sickness said; install the OS on your Master.

Lord Kalthorn said:
Yeah, or swap the Jumpers so the slave is the master and the master is the slave so that it will boot up. If you've formatted the master it'll look on there and won't find a Boot.ini - so it won't start up. With the slave's OS installed it'll boot up form there.

Or as Sickness said; install the OS on your Master.
Thats a bad idea LK,give me a minuet.Ok.
Jim please learn the basics or pay someone,this really is hard to answer.
And please please stop adviseing MBD changes like jumpers to new users.
After 15 years i won't touch them.
:eek:

If you got rid of the master, it will still be trying to boot up from it with nothing on it. In the bios there is an area to boot from default drives then 1-2-3. Select 2 and save it. it will boot up using your second drive

bluto said:
Thats a bad idea LK,give me a minuet.Ok.
Jim please learn the basics or pay someone,this really is hard to answer.
And please please stop adviseing MBD changes like jumpers to new users.
After 15 years i won't touch them.
:eek:
Not entirely sure where i was advertising Motherboard Changes? I recommended he switch the Jumpers on the Hard Drive from slave to master? :D Not really rocket science? ;) Also, I'm not entirely sure how you get along fixing computers without doing motherboard jumper changes.

If you get it to boot up from the CD First and you have the Windows Installation CD in there then it won't matter which is your default drive or you master or your slave - from the Windows Installation Menu you can format the Partitions (if you're using XP?).

Exactly but i still think it will be very difficult to explain this here.
Like fdisk and then format and when to accept cd support etc.
So you do it LK.
:D

Bluto just because you are scared to look inside of your own computer case it doesn't mean everyone is!
Suggesting that by changing the hard drive jumpers is somehow messing about with the motherboard is ludacris, no wonder LK didn't see where you got the idea that he mentioned a motherboard.
Surely the whole point of offering support on a forum is to help people understand how to work their computers, not to offer help with small problems to boost your own ego and then shy away when a real problem comes along?

Back
Top Bottom