How long can I leave a PC on...

Tommy Boy said:
actually the less you turn your computer on and off the better....when you turn your computer on there is a huge surge of electricity that goes through everything...and also the heat...things expanding and contracting can work your cards chips..etc loose over time, the more you can keep the temp inside constant, the better. a loose card or a chip can cause a problem that maybe you wouldn't think of right away....doesn't happen overnight but over time of turning your pc on and off

I can see where the problems might be, and am sure you're probably right. I'm just curiuos to know that if you were to leave your computer on constantly, wouldn't that be just as bad since you're never giving it a "break"? I imagine a computer is like everything else, every once and a while you're going to need to give it a time-out because if you constantly leave it running it's just going to wear-down everything. Thus shortening the life-span of the chips and other interior components.

theres arguements either way.
in the end who really cares, as long as they work for at least 5 years im happy.

leaving it on 24/7 means there'll be higher chances of it be subjected to power supply events like over voltages and spikes, which is a problem where i live :\.

also being on 24/7 stresses the mechanical parts more - such as harddrives or fans.
fans especially have a tendancy to wear out (especially shit sleeveless ones :\),

im unconvinced of thermal expansion and contraction being a factor that is worthy of me caring about. though theres otherthings that i deem unworthy of my attention that disagrees with other peoples practices - such as having a av program ;).

but hey...i encourage people to leave their computers on, the only real downsides i think you should consider are the increased powerbill and the respective impact on the environment youll have by using more electricity.

it sure is nice to start writing something, then not bother to close vim and come back the next morning and have it open and waiting for you :)

Yeah; I don't think there are many people who would be unhappy with their computer lasting less than 6 years anyway. Generally you've sold it on and got a better one by then anyway.

Lord Kalthorn said:
Yeah; I don't think there are many people who would be unhappy with their computer lasting less than 6 years anyway. Generally you've sold it on and got a better one by then anyway.
That says it all.Case closed i guess.
But this was about what component.
I vote in this order,
1.Your local Hydro server.
2.Your home fusebox
3.Your PC power supply.

;)
Do you want to discuss Stoves next. ;)
The Fridge,well no choice.
:cool:

gibant1 said:
Tommy's right, It's turning them on/off that causes problems.

How long can you leave a pc on?, well I've got a 486sx 20Mhz, (The first 486 I built), on site, it only does basic Database work and has been on since 1991.

It's not linked to the network , who's 486DX2 50Mhz file server, running on novel, has been running none stop, since, 1992.

really? computers running non-stop since 1991 and 1992? thats awesome!

remember there aren't many moving parts inside a computer, you can set your power settings to shut the HD off after so long, and if you get a fan speed controller you can turn your fans down when you aren't using them, reducing the wear on them

!

Heres the definitive answer then,
Till it turns itself off,much like leaving a car running.
What kind of answer where you expecting ? Post a poll of
years.1 5 10 50 100 1000 who cares,choices.
:rolleyes:

I was surprised also, not all of us are as smart as Bluto. I'm not trying to get in an argument Bluto, but if you wouldn't put that eyes rolling smiley so often, people wouldn't get as mad at you, theres just something about it. As for me I turn my computer off every night, but when I get my new system I will change my ways after reading this thread. I know it could be just as bad for it, but the thought of leaving my computer on for more than 2 days makes me cringe. I probably treat them too much like humans, I think they need sleep! I think I will keep mine on for a few weeks then give it a one day brake and so-forth. I would do it with my existing computer but I don't even have a case fan, only a massive stock cpu cooler, and it doesn't help my tower is crammed in a tight cabinet.

You gotta be kidding.

wasn't meant to be sarcastic,only where did you get to or it's a dumb ? like "how long" Is there really an answer to that.
remember its just a smilie.
:eek: ;)

Back
Top Bottom