X800 Pro or X800 XT

walid almasri

Baseband Member
Hello all, I currently have a dell 8300 with a 9800 Pro video card. with all the new games coming out Im thinking of getting an X800 card. My question is will the X800 work with my machine. Will i need to upgrade my stock power supply to power the card? Has anyone used this card? Any feedback between the differences of the9800 Pro and the X800 would be appricated.. thanks all

This card should work with your machine. You would simply put it in the slot that your 9800 was in. It should work with your existing power supply as long as it's about 300wts. I have seen soooo many comparisons between the new x800 and older cards like the 9800. All I can tell you is there is no competition between the two. The x800 absolutley dominates over older cards. It is definitely worth it to upgrade my friend. If you have the money go with the x800XT over the x800Pro. If you have any more questions let me know!

Honestly a radeon 9800 is extremely fast and will run both of those games perfectly fine.

Unless you have some money to blow then i would just wait a bit. But I can understand you sentiment. i will be getting a geforce 6800 within a few weeks since right now i am running a geforce 4200 ti 64mbs ram. Its still runs every game on the market at fairly high detail.

In a couple of months ATI will release a faster card in its 10 series line and the X800 will fall in price. Right now you would be paying above retail for the xt and possibly the pro as well, which is very frustrating.

I prefer nvidia, but if you already have an ati card and dont want to upgrade your power supply, then the 10 series is the one to head towards.

The Pro is a bit slower but a bit cheaper.

You probably need to look at your monitor size first. If the max resolution is at or above 1600x1200 then the xt will definately be faster. If your monitor doesnt support that high of resolutions then go with the pro. The Xt shines at higher resolutions, thus at lower res the difference in the pro and xt isnt worth the $100.

If you dont have a 19" montior save yourself the dough and get the pro.

I have to disagree with you airox, I'm not totaly sure about this so don't get pissed at me. I doubt the 9800 pro will be able to run HL 2 and D3 at pretty good detail and resolution and still have playable frame rates. If you look at the benchmarks, the 9800 pro has barely playable frame rates when running Far Cry at higher details, so imagine even better graphics with HL2...

true

Well there isnt a graphics card out today that can play Doom 3 at full settings so factually you are right.

Obviously if you have a 9800 pro you have a pretty beastly video card that you recently purchased and if you are upgrading so soon you someone who wants to have the best video card out there. The X800 series isnt that card. It has less features and is slower on atleast Doom 3. Playing HL 2 the X800's should be faster since valve is optimizing for that chipset.

I stil recommend to somone with a 9800 to chose the X800 over the geforce just becuase its easier, and not to mention this guy doesnt have a power supply to handle it.

But ID does say themselves that they saw great performance from both the 9800 pro and the geforce fx. So there wont be anything to worry about when playing doom.

Right people , if you must go for the x800s go for the x800 XT super fast card .But , i would difenaty think about either the 6800 GT or the 6800 Ultra (both amazing card , i had 6800 GT super fast , giving the x800 XT a run for its money , the ultra well people if you really have that kinda money then it is a must ) but all these card will play doom and halflife 2 with no sweat . the 9800 would be pushing it but still play it .

Does anyone know the difference between the GeForce 6800GT and the GeForce 6800 Ultra? Is it worth the extra 125$ to go with the Ultra over the GT? I am looking at the BFG 6800 Ultra, it's 25$ more than the evga Ultra but comes overclocked from 400mhz to 425mhz. Do you think it's worth the extra 25$ for the already overclocked verison? Thanks for any input!

Well I expect your 19" gets resolution above or at 1600x1200 right?

If thats the case than in may be worth the few extra bucks.

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQyLDM=

as you can see the X800 pro fails miserably. You also see that the gt and ultra are about the same at lower res with no fancy aa or af enabled.

So in your case i may well be worth the money for the ultra.

HardOCP's thoughts on BFG 6800 GT OC:

"The BFGTech GeForce 6800GT OC we tested overclocked very well. We were able to not only match 6800Ultra speeds but go beyond them. How is that for getting your money's worth!"

"You will want to keep in mind that BFGTech is an American owned company that operates here in the USA. They give their video card products Lifetime Warranties and have some of the best support we have ever seen out of a retail desktop technology company."

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjM3LDEw

even though its not the ultra it should give you a better look.

Back
Top Bottom