Dual Channel RAM

OneWizard

Baseband Member
Hi All,

I'm looking to build a new pc, nothing spectacular.. it reads like this..

XP2800+ or P4 2.8Ghz
Gigabyte 7N400-Pro2 Mb (something similar for P4)

I'm a little confused with the dual channel RAM thing... is it just a matter of buying 2x 256mb ram and inserting them together? I hear that this then relates to the FSB of the processors in some way to maximise the power?

Anyone able to elighten me?

Thanks,

1Wiz

OneWizard said:
Hi All,

I'm looking to build a new pc, nothing spectacular.. it reads like this..

XP2800+ or P4 2.8Ghz
Gigabyte 7N400-Pro2 Mb (something similar for P4)

I'm a little confused with the dual channel RAM thing... is it just a matter of buying 2x 256mb ram and inserting them together? I hear that this then relates to the FSB of the processors in some way to maximise the power?

Anyone able to elighten me?

Thanks,

1Wiz
You can't answer this till you decide what motherboard and what and how to install ram.
Don't you really think you should have it built "for you" and not "by you"

I did and i've been at it 15 years.

I've built a few pc's before, so it's no problem...

i was just unsure as to how to use the dual channel ram... what i know is if the mobo has the function, you are suppose to put two rams with same size into two separate slots to enable dual channeling...

but i also thought that it was a waste if you say put in 3700 type ram when the cpu i'm getting is only running at 3200..ie 333mhz...

dont bother with dual channel on a amd32 platform.

the cost of buying a nf2 chipset with 2 memory controllers vs one + the cost of buying 2 matched dimms + the slight problems of upgrading ram later are more then is worth the 1% - 3% performance increase.

youll get more speed if you spend the money on a faster graphics card

Back
Top Bottom