Wireless Network Problems

insomniac1

Baseband Member
I currently am using a 802.11b router (made by Belkin), and am experiencing constant connection drops and time-outs. I'm assuming it's because of a lot of outside interference. I'm thinking of just getting some CAT 5 cables and running cables throughout my house for best performance but my friend is recommending that I switch to the 'g'. Will switching to the 'g' solve my problems or should I just go with the cables?

G my sort out your problems - but in anycase i would recommend Cat5 cabling. You'll get the extra speed, and even upgrading to g is not going to give you the performance of cabling.

Switching to 'g' probably will solve my problems (I just remembered my laptop has the 'g'), so I'll be upgrading from 11mpbs (b) to 54mbps (g), but come to think of it that won't solve the interference problem that I'm experiencing, right? Or will the 'g' guarantee a stronger, less interuptable signal? Well, I may just do a direct wiring connection to my desktop, have cables running all throughout the house :rolleyes:.

It would make a stronger signal, and therefore less interuptable; but it depends how much of an inconvience wires will be - and whether you like to go outside with your laptop sometimes.

But if you want to stick with Wireless; then a G connection will probably solve your interupting problem anyway.

Back
Top Bottom