Best Air Cooling For Overclocking

CoMpUtaFrEek

Fully Optimized
I'm looking for a cooling solution for my new athlon xp-m (barton core). These processors are highly overclockable and i plan to make the most of that. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good HS+FAN to keep my processor cool. Thanks.

Thanks custom those are very nice but I've gone with a Coolermaster Jet 7+, one because its apparently very good, and two I'm getting a case with a side window and it looks cool lol.

make sure you get other fans spinnin inside the case too, I'd recommend Vantec Stealth fans...I use 4 of them myself, they are very quiet, and work very well

Yeh thanks mate, currently I'm using a ghetto old skool case (lol) with the side panel off and the power supply just sitting on my desk. I'm being careful not to spill drinks until I get my new case :D

I serioulsly hope that you havent bought your cpu or heatsink yet.

I would have to advise you from buying the Jet 7 it really is quite freaken I cant hear you loud. I have its sister cooler aero 7. I couldnt mount it in the floppy bay without having to mod the stupid thing with a drill and such. I ended up putting that loud thing on my 2200+ and turned the fan speed way down.

Also unlessare talking about the clock speed of the processor which would be 2.2ghz roughly for a 3200+ which has a barton core. OR do you seriously mean the 2200+ which runs around 1.8ghz. Cuz the 2200 is extremely difficult to overclock.

But if its the 3200+ you are talking about, go with it. I managed to overclock that sucker to 2.5 ghz by just increasing the bus speed. Make sure you have good ram for that though.

Cmon, just say it aint so, the Jet 7 is no good. If decibil levels are not an option then go with something else. Check out http://www.frostytech.com/ they are the best with heatsinks.

Yes I have bought the Jet 7+. Apparently it kept the guys 2500+ under 50oC overclocked to 3200+. Are you so sure that the 2200+ are hard to overclock? Why is this.

Well to tell you the truth I am not that big of an overclocker. Lets see if I can remember this correctly.

Well umm i think that the chip is easier to overclock when it is at the end of a cycle. Such as the 3200+ is the last barton, thus it is extremely easy to overclock. I also think that the first barton core, which i think was the 2500+ is fairly easy to overclock. Basically there are around three to five chips that are the best for overclocking.

http://tech-report.com/reviews/2002q2/athlonxp-2200/index.x?pg=9 this guy explains how difficult it is to overclock that chipset.

Depending on who you bought it from maybe you could return it for a 2500+. Just make sure I am correct about the 2500+ being the easy to overclock.

Hopefully I can get this chip up to 2ghz, I'd be more than happy with that. My old palomino didn't OC at all so I'm not losing out much. Also, a palomino 2100 identical (similar enough lol) sold for £40-50 on ebay, whereas I got the 2200 at a bargain £33!! I'm only able to gain in performance, and I'll look out for a real barton.

Back
Top Bottom