How long can I leave a PC on...

LaZyBuMMM13

Beta member
So, let's just go to the point.
I was wondering about this cuz I thought I knew it until I realized I didn't...(one way or another)

What PC part determines how long you can leave your PC on and still has perfect performance. I have a pretty good comp right now, but I can't leave it on for 8+ hours it goes half the actual performance (practically).

Well, that's about it...hehe

well, no part, provided nothings broken / buggy.

right now..daves had his celeron on for 230 days :)

this computer, right here, the one connected to the internet has been up 20 days and 10 hours (and before that it was 22 days but i accidently kicked the plug out cleaning :\) (at 100% load for the past few days too thanks to dnet).

in summary, the OS does.

LaZyBuMMM13 said:
Thanx, so an XP OS would be better to leave on than a 98...right?

Yup, 95 would be better to leave on than 98.

98 is the worst OS ever (and i should know, ive used all the windows OS's) :p

Personally I liked 98 over 95. I can't remmember who but somebody on here prefered 98 over XP! :D

But beyond that, yeah, noth9ing particularly matters; obviously make sure your fan can keep the processor cool all the time but beyond that it should stay on anyway.

If you leave your computer on and are hooked up to the internet with broadband without a firewall turned on watch out!.
5 Boxes hacked in the past week.
The Crackers are everywhere.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it would have a lot to do with the cpu fan and other cooling devices. As long as nothing overheats internally you should be able to run it for only god knows how long... or until something blows :D. There's this internet cafe that I go to occasionally which is open 24/7 (yes, you heard me right; 24/7) and I don't think I've ever see the computers shut down or rebooted.

Yeah, cooling is really the main thing - I imagine they have an extractor running down behind where all the computers are to keep them extra cool - if they're all hidden?

actually the less you turn your computer on and off the better....when you turn your computer on there is a huge surge of electricity that goes through everything...and also the heat...things expanding and contracting can work your cards chips..etc loose over time, the more you can keep the temp inside constant, the better. a loose card or a chip can cause a problem that maybe you wouldn't think of right away....doesn't happen overnight but over time of turning your pc on and off

Tommy's right, It's turning them on/off that causes problems.

How long can you leave a pc on?, well I've got a 486sx 20Mhz, (The first 486 I built), on site, it only does basic Database work and has been on since 1991.

It's not linked to the network , who's 486DX2 50Mhz file server, running on novel, has been running none stop, since, 1992.

Back
Top Bottom