Replacing New MB - need to copy over HDs

:\. i still dont understand.

my quantum went from a pentium 2 era celeron to a amd 2 ghz barton box fine.

can you tell us something about the harddrive? a link on google perhaps?

and whats the new motherboard?

theres something unusual going on if a 3 year old harddrive wont work in a new motherboard

(unless they're started shipping motherboards with just sata support, which i wasnt aware of..though i wasnt watching so it may have happened already :$)

/me nods

i know im not being too helpfull.

feel free to ignore me. its in the preferences somewhere.

going between PIII and PIV shouldn't be a problem, the hard drive controllers still work the same.

It's easiest to try and stick the old hard drives into a new machine without changing anything, if it works then thats great, but if it doesn't then you won't have lost anything.

if that doesn't work then I'm affraid you are quite stuck, there is no real way to copy programs from one install to another, most programs install files al over the place (and create registry keys) it'd literally take you weeks to find them all, and even when you found them there is no guarenteeing it would work.

This is a very confusing problem. But I think you're making it harder than it is. You replace the Motherboard; I suppose as you said you get a new Graphics Card in time. But you wasnt to copy your Hard Drive?

If this is to get a new bigger hard drive - then plug your old drive in as Secondary and copy over from Windows installed on the new drive all the useful stuff you want to keep. Then just install your programs.

However, if you don't mind about size then the Hard Drive will work on the new Motherboard. I don't know why you think it won't - but you should probably try.

A PIII works differently than a PIV & it's too large a leap for the OS to handle.

50% of the time you can switch HDs to a new MB & they will work & 50% they won't & there is a number of factors that will affect the outcome.

In this case, this PIII MB is an obscure piece of hardware that one can not even locate the manufacturer online anymore.

It has nothing to do w/ the HD, but with Windows. It's the security system in Windows that's not allowing us to use the old HD on the new MB as it is. However, once we've DLed Win onto a clean HD or partition, we will be able to access the information on the old HD.

While I am aware there were several avenues we could have taken, we chose this one b/c the system needed to be updated anyway & the old system will be left as a backup in case of emergency.

I hope this explains it now.

This was Dave talking, (my partner) & of course I'm sitting here like a secretary typing everything out.

Hey, no patting my head Dave.

Thanks

Michelle :p

0x54 said:
:\. i still dont understand.

my quantum went from a pentium 2 era celeron to a amd 2 ghz barton box fine.

can you tell us something about the harddrive? a link on google perhaps?

and whats the new motherboard?

theres something unusual going on if a 3 year old harddrive wont work in a new motherboard

(unless they're started shipping motherboards with just sata support, which i wasnt aware of..though i wasnt watching so it may have happened already :$)

/me nods

i know im not being too helpfull.

feel free to ignore me. its in the preferences somewhere.

The first thing I tried doing was simply using the old HD on the new MB.

A 000007 message came up which means it won't work the way it is.

As Michelle needs to have a fully functional system operating, the best solution was to get a new HD & case & create a new CPU, load Win onto it & then put the old HD onto the system & access the programs from there. Eventually, all pertinant programs & information will be loaded onto the new HD leaving the old one as a backup.

End of Dave talking.

Thanks

Michelle

root said:
going between PIII and PIV shouldn't be a problem, the hard drive controllers still work the same.

It's easiest to try and stick the old hard drives into a new machine without changing anything, if it works then thats great, but if it doesn't then you won't have lost anything.

if that doesn't work then I'm affraid you are quite stuck, there is no real way to copy programs from one install to another, most programs install files al over the place (and create registry keys) it'd literally take you weeks to find them all, and even when you found them there is no guarenteeing it would work.

I didn't undestand one of your questions b/c there was a typo.

I tried to plug in the old HD onto the new MB & it wouldn't work & got a 00007 error.

I even tried to reload Windows & it wouldn't work.

I spoke to other people here & they agreed this could be a problem & as we can see, it was.

Thanks

Michelle & Dave

Lord Kalthorn said:
This is a very confusing problem. But I think you're making it harder than it is. You replace the Motherboard; I suppose as you said you get a new Graphics Card in time. But you wasnt to copy your Hard Drive?

If this is to get a new bigger hard drive - then plug your old drive in as Secondary and copy over from Windows installed on the new drive all the useful stuff you want to keep. Then just install your programs.

However, if you don't mind about size then the Hard Drive will work on the new Motherboard. I don't know why you think it won't - but you should probably try.

If I understand correct, your current choice is to make an entierly new system, and hook up the drive from the first system temporarily so you can copy data accross.

Yes this will work fine, even though you can't seem to boot from the disk windows should have no trouble just accessing the disk.

The only problem comes with when yuo bring programs into the picture.

From your earlier post I understood that you no longer have the disks or serial numbers for many of your essential pieces of software and aer hoping to copy the programs onto your new system from the old hard disk.
This wont work because a lot of programs will have their registration details stored in the registry, others will have had DLLs and OCX controls registerd on the system as they installed.
Windows will not use the registry from another install on a secondary hard disk, (unfortunaty)
and it wont have all the correct files registered on the system either.

so, here is my next suggestion...
Make a copy of the disk exactly either using the toos suggested in this thread or with a copy of Norton Ghost. (this is just for backup incase this does't work) then take the hard disk and boot from the windows CD, the installer will detect a previous installation of windows and ask if you want to repair it, this repair option should fx the bits that are stoping your system from booting whilst leaving most of the system intact.
(this worked moving a copy of windows XP accross to a new machine for me last week, the only problem I had was to do with MS outlook profiles being cached to a machine SID inside of a domain, since this is in your house you shouldn't have this trouble.)

Back
Top Bottom