CAN"T DECIDE - INTEL OR AMD!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
as far as I'm concerned, (and I know this wont be a popular opinion) but computers come second to life.
There is not much you can't do on a 2Ghz machine.

from my point of view I spent the first year of uni scrapping through with no money, my computer was something a mate chucked my way.
it was damaged in a lightning strick and the PSU onboard USB, sound and graphics had all gone. (the graphics wern't completly gone but the red colout was and there was a refresh problem that left stripes on screen.
I did all my first years coursework booting into DOS 6 on a 100MB hard disk, I used EDIT.COM and saved all the writting to a floppy disk, then when I went to uni all I needed to do was format the text.

I eventually got a video card and sound card sorted out for it (and a bit more RAM -it did only have 32MB) and used it (333MHZ - 312MB RAM) and ran XP pro on it leaving it on permentantly for entire terms at a time, (15 weeks).
I could run just about anything I wanted. (Photoshop dreamweaver, some games, browse the internet, office 2003).
so right now I'm more than happy with my machine, I don't play many games at all, and I can see this machine (and OS) lasting me at least the next ten years.
this is perhaps why I don't understand the mad rush to upgrade each and everytime Intel or AMD squeeze a few extra cycles out of a chip

I worked in computers long enough to remember when text was all that you could do. Writing applications to run an a 16K multi-tasking multi-user (it's memory had to supply 4 dumb terminals). machine.

But if you Dont play games then of course a machine like Camers will do work related jobs admirally.

But once you get into the gaming world, It's a whole different ballgame.

Whatever you do for a hobby/entertainment. e.g. Getting drunk, paintballing whatever, it all costs. And you should spend whatever spare money you have, on what you enjoy.

Hmm, i guess thats right...
I must admit that since I got a decent computer I did start to play more games, and with that does come the temptation to upgrade a lot more!

I might take that micro direct offer. 512ram, lovely. Also i would just get that and put xp pro on my system. Then at xmas ill get my asus board and work from there. Might get that deal very soon...

Honestly you'll be very impressed with it, Video card should be next on your wish list.

See if you can flog your old setup, root, fancy an upgrade? ;)

video card may come at xmas. If on a budget a 9800pro if not a 6800XT.

Re: CAN

gibant1 said:
Whatever you do for a hobby/entertainment. e.g. Getting drunk, paintballing whatever, it all costs. And you should spend whatever spare money you have, on what you enjoy.

A very good take on life :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom