formatting a hard drive to military standard

no, just a few computer bits.
a few transformers so their US equipment works in the UK.

root said:
As I have a friend who's dad is in the US air force, and know their house to contain several 'bits' marked property of the US government. I know for a fact that their destroy all hardware thing might not always be as stringently carried out as they might like.

yeah..i was kind of vague / inaccurate.

i imagine the australian army still thinks a right clicking on the driver and selecting full format wipes its clean.

most definitely different departments in different arms of different governments all have different procedures.

im sure i had a doc around somewhere putout by NIST or some other american outfit regarding deletion practices. maybe ill find it later :\

let me explain, standard practise is that all hardware is not allowed to leave the premesis.

all computer hardware is there for left in a really big cuboard, My friends father has "helped himslef" to a few PCs in the past, but is always very carefull about what he takes, who he lets know about it, and what happens to it.
the PC may be marked Property of US government, but aside from that there would be no way to trace it back, and certainly the hard disks would have been wipped over many many times.

Come to think of it I have US army CPU fan as extra cooling on my graphics card.

That is pretty sweet -- I think at one time or another my desktop was infected with a virus and it seems to have left it permanently crippled. Despite numerous reformats etc. I am still experiencing slow boot-ups, constant software installation errors, and driver difficulties. Do you think this could solve my problems?

And on another matter, I thought you could recover deleted files via DOS - UNDELETE, and aren't there also deleted-file recovery programs?

insomniac said:
That is pretty sweet -- I think at one time or another my desktop was infected with a virus and it seems to have left it permanently crippled. Despite numerous reformats etc. I am still experiencing slow boot-ups, constant software installation errors, and driver difficulties. Do you think this could solve my problems?

And on another matter, I thought you could recover deleted files via DOS - UNDELETE, and aren't there also deleted-file recovery programs?

Did you delete the partition before you formatted? That would have been a good idea...

issues addressed

hi there, im not sure about the software problems you are experiencing, but surely, you can try the programme, and see if it cures it. the good thing about this programme is that once is has been run, with atleast 3 passes it becomes virtually impossible to recover data, thats why this type of formatting software is used, by banks, and government agencies, no data recover software can recover the data, in this case, those softwares are only useful, when the average person, formats a drive, using fdisk, or standard format, etc, then these data recovery programmes are useful, otherwise not.

Back
Top Bottom