Computer Hardware Failure

This has got out of hand - I think maybe we will wait for Phubbs to reply to both comments; as both are reasonable comments which are equally possible.

Likelyhood is though - that he has already installed his Power Supply it works and he doesn't care about us anymore. Its sad but true.

No Joy

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions.

In the end I was sent a new power supply under warranty.

I fitted it this morning and connected the power supply to the motherboard and to the hard disk. Unfortunately I still had no joy. I then removed the graphics card, sound card and network interface card, testing at each stage but nothing powered up.

What can I try next? is there a way of checking that the power switch is functioning correctly?

Pete

Re: No Joy

phubbs said:
Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions.

In the end I was sent a new power supply under warranty.

I fitted it this morning and connected the power supply to the motherboard and to the hard disk. Unfortunately I still had no joy. I then removed the graphics card, sound card and network interface card, testing at each stage but nothing powered up.

What can I try next? is there a way of checking that the power switch is functioning correctly?

Pete

Your motherboard battery has probably went, either that or your mobo has been fried like Computafreak said. See if you can get a new battery from your local computer shop and replace it see if that works, if now, send it back to where you got it and get the mobo replaced :)

Re: No Joy

TheSickness said:
Your motherboard battery has probably went, either that or your mobo has been fried like Computafreak said. See if you can get a new battery from your local computer shop and replace it see if that works, if now, send it back to where you got it and get the mobo replaced :)
No but theres a way to see if your wall socket has blown a fuse.
You did say nothing lights up.What where you expecting for a suggestion ?
Plug in a fan or hire an electriction to test it.
A kettle and a toaster on the kitchen counter plugged into the same duplex will blow a fuse.Ask the Wife.
Useing the same circuit as the fridge has a bad effect on a computer.
It's not rocket science.
This is based on North American Technology.
:D

Check

Hi

I use a 4 - gang surge protection strip for connecting my PC. Other components such as my router are still connected to the strip and work fine even when I plug them into the same socket that my CPU was plugged into. It's starting to look like the motherboard is the problem but I need to feel as confident as possible that nothing else is responsible before sending off for a new one.

Pete

Just to clear a few things up,
Usually there is no real fuse protection on wall sockets, there may be a trip switch but since most all sockets wil b on the same circuit he'd have found that his electricity had blown since all electronic appliances (tv licrowave kettle etc) would be on the same ring main,

Power supplies can and do blow, Mine blew simply because it was under load and sat next to a heat source, My PC would not switch or for love nor money, Thankfully I had parts to test whether it worked.
I doubt the motherboard battery would have anything to do with it, The reason I sy this is because my motherboard battery is flat (everyime it is unplugged it looses all it's time/date/disk/ram settings.
But it does sound like a motherboard problem now that the other options are out of the way.

Yeh, lets hope your mobo is under warrenty.

Usually if the motherboard is getting power there will be some kind of light on inside...

Sometimes the most obvious things are overlooked - is the switch on the power supply set to l and not O ? Also has it been correctly plugged into the motherboard, test those things if not id recommend getting a mobo replacement.

Re: Check

phubbs said:
Hi

I use a 4 - gang surge protection strip for connecting my PC. Other components such as my router are still connected to the strip and work fine even when I plug them into the same socket that my CPU was plugged into. It's starting to look like the motherboard is the problem but I need to feel as confident as possible that nothing else is responsible before sending off for a new one.

Pete
Glad to get that out of the way then.Too bad those other jokers disagreed to at least start there.It is possible to live in a small environment where you might have too many devices useing too few circuits.Yes it is possible to have a kettle and make coffee on a table beside you,useing the same circuit.Isn't it,unless you have a huge mansion and a maid. :eek:
Some of us aren't that fortunate.
:p

Jokers? Bluto you don't seem to understand a thing about domestic electricity or wiring,
there is not a seperate circuit for each socket in the house, - in fact most houses will have only one fuse/trip switch for all lighting and electric sockets, with only seperate fuses for cooker (High power device) and electric shower (high risk device). Putting an extension lead into a plug socket does not magically make a whole new circuit, it just extends and existing circuit.

Yes it is possible to have too many devices plugged into an extension cord (remeber those fire safety adverts?) and a kettle and toaster (Both 13A) would do it (since most PC supply fuses are only 5A).
But that's not what you said, to start with you said that the fuse in the wall may be blown.
which was wrong.
There are no fuses in the wall, the fuse would be in the extension cord.
then you mentioned something about trip switches, but as I said before if you tripped the switch for your plugs there is a fiar chance the whole house would be dark, certainly no other appliance plugged into the wall would work.
If you are wrong admit you are wrong, don't subtly change the meaning of your replies and then tell other people they were wrong.

Back
Top Bottom