CAN"T DECIDE - INTEL OR AMD!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can get a 2.8Ghz P4 and something like a AI7 motherboard for about £160 get some decent ram and overclock the thing to at least 3.2Ghz.

Not that expensive then, not as expensive as the AMD64.

But if anyone uses a program/game that needs all that power, let me know.

Hey everyone! Sorry I haven't posted yet, but as you know my resources are limited. To Computerfreek, this thread isn't quite the same as the AMD vs. INTEL, and I would appreciate if we kept it running! If it helps at all I would be going with a 3.4 ghz version of either AMD or INTEL. Thanks for all your posts, any more input is appreciated.

Both processors are Very good. When I first had the same choice, I went for a 3Ghz Amd 64. It was a nice, quick machine.

Two months later I had the chance to sell my Amd for the price I paid for it. I then went for the P4.

These are the main differnences.

My Raid array (hard disk transfer) increased in speed by 50%.

When multitasking, program run flawlessly. (on the AMD you get pauses and slow downs).

And if it's games your after, I can run farycry with everything on max inc 4xa at 1280x1240 and get an average of about 50 fps.

Good you might think, but this is while e-donkey is downloading and norton is doing a full virus scan in the background!

Norton alone used to kill my AMD, I used to leave the computer until it had finished.

I'm not against Amd's, I've used them for years but I wouldn't go back

WOW! Thanks for the advice gibant! That is very interesting. I really would like to be able to run Norton and play games without lag. To me it seems like Intel would be the obvious choice. In your opininion gibant, what advantages if any does AMD have over Intel? Could you recommend a good Intel mobo? Sorry, I'm Intel illiterate. To Computerfreek, if I went with AMD, I would be going with the 64 bit 3400+! Thank you guys for your help!

The only advantage is being 64Bit, which at this time, is no advantage at all.

Windows 64Bit is not going to be around for a good while yet, so your paying for something that sits dormently inside you machine.

Many people percieve the AMD64 to be a cheaper system, Its not.

This is how i made my decision :-

I wanted a machine that could multi-task well.

Play any game I wanted at a high speed.

I then looked at the current software out there and decided that it would be a VERY long time (in Computing years) before my spec of machine wouldn't be able to satisfy my criteria.

And thats about it. I Could have gone for the new 775 Pentium 4, but as new technologies had only just been released, The fine-tuned overclock friendly Norwood + 875 m/b combination was the best option.

My last bit of advice would be not to get too high a chip!

Look at the prices and get the best priced chip. Dont pay a lot of money for an extra 200Mhz, use that money for higher speed memory/better motherboard and o/c.

Wrong: 64's can run 32bit apps better, also versions of linux are 64bit.

Better than an AMD XP not a P4. As for Linux, got a long way to go yet.

Please dont forget I bought an AMD64 3Ghz before I purchased my current machine.

It is plainly obvious that you haven't used both machines. If you had, Youd pick a P4 WITHOUT QUESTION.

AMD 3ghz? you mean 3000+? Anyway, a bit of the ball aintcha' :p Linux 64bit versions already out, Also i'd proberly pick a Athlon 64 than a P4, used a p4 nothing special. AMD is future proof, easy to overclock, cheaper may i say.

Not where I live. U.K., and yes it's not 3Ghz (much lower) if must be pedantic.

All you have to do is try a Hyperthreading P4

If you can find somebody who has used both hyperthreading P4 and a AMD64, And prefers a AMD ill be astounded.

The AMD is a very good & quick machine, It just doesn't compare when you multi-task.

Before I sold my AMD, I reformated the drive and re-installed XP. The machine was fast and I thought to myself 'I dont see how you can get much faster than this'.

Thinking I may have made a mistake in going Intel, I was Very suprised in the difference.

Certain things are exactly the same speed, but when an AMD Pauses for a couple of seconds hear and there, it just doesn't happen on P4. The machine works at full speed all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom