Problems installing win xp on a new machine (WXP-Pro)

Daviss

Baseband Member
All seems fine and i get to "setup copying files" until it says - *file name* wasnt copied correctly, i press retry and it shows this to some other files but retry works. But to some file it shows another message - could not copy and thats the problem. Retry doesnt work to that. I can install Windows XP from the same CD on my old machine without any problems. What the hell should i do?

I had this problem a few days ago, the fact is that running windows 2000/xp through dos install, the cd drives have very unreliable drivers which means they find it hard reading data unless it is spoon fed to them.

In other words, try cleaning the cd. If this doesnt work id recommend copying the cd onto a blank disk (assuming you have access to a cd writer). Thats what i did and it worked, let me know how it goes.

CoMpUtaFrEek said:
In other words, try cleaning the cd. If this doesnt work id recommend copying the cd onto a blank disk (assuming you have access to a cd writer). Thats what i did and it worked, let me know how it goes.

You can not copy a Window XP CD. Because it is ~900MB and a CD can only hold 700MB.

There is a file in on the CD that thinks its bigger then it actually is. You can't use CD copy because it is copywrited and you can't use ISO recording because it is 900MB and you can only copy 700MB to a new CD.

Pretty tricky, huh.

I suggest calling Microsoft and see if they will give you a new disk, that is if you have all of the CD-Key information.

killerdoberman said:
You can not copy a Window XP CD. Because it is ~900MB and a CD can only hold 700MB.

There is a file in on the CD that thinks its bigger then it actually is. You can't use CD copy because it is copywrited and you can't use ISO recording because it is 900MB and you can only copy 700MB to a new CD.

Pretty tricky, huh.

I suggest calling Microsoft and see if they will give you a new disk, that is if you have all of the CD-Key information.

ah right, i copied a windows 2k pro cd no problem so... Yeh i guess they will have taken new copywrite measures on XP.

Clean the cd, if that doesnt work, learn a lesson from this lol - keep your cds clean and dont scratch them!!

contact microsoft as a last resort but i cant say for sure if they will do anything.

Quote:
yeah, i would have 2 agree with making backup copy's
just for emergency's.

i have win xp home, backed up to cd's....
although i have made a perfect backup of both cd's i got with my computer. i only use them for backup.

just like my favorite bought cd's of music i bought, i have made a backup copy to play over and over.

just waiting for tecnology 2 come up with scratch resistant cd's......

I was ging to say that I have both windows XP home and Pro backed up onto a CD.

microsoft actually encourage you to make back up CDs.

you can search for slipstreaming service packs onto XP cd's if you like.

This is a process where you copy all the files from a CD to your hard disk and run service pack updates on the files before they are installed.

MS have released files that let you compile a new bootable cd from a cd recorder program (such as nero).

there is a chance that your machine is not upto spec. I've had installations fail on a PC before (that was not 'upto spec') saying it could not fild that file, but the CD has worked fine to install the OS on a different computer - even using the same physical CD drive.

If the CD is clean (and has no lint attached, is perfectly mirrored with no scratches smudges or finger prints that can be seen looking at the reflection of natural light accross the CD) it seems unlikely that it will be a problem with the CD

root, very true. I have had troubles installing windows 2000 on older machines aswell, you are right with the cd, if its in perfect condition obviously it wont be the cd thats the problem.

Back
Top Bottom