Replacing New MB - need to copy over HDs

ep2002

In Runtime
Help !

My integrated board's video card must have gone (no comments pls., I didn't have enough money at the time), so we have to replace the WHOLE MB.

The problem is, Win 2000 doesn't allow you to just copy on top of itself.

So we have to reformat.

I have 4 drives on my puter right now & someone is suggesting I reformat H & then make it C & then move everything over.

How does this sound to you all & I need to know how move everything over from one drive to a next easily without screwing up any data.

Some of the programs I can reinstall, others I can't.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me

I hope you are having a good Sunday !

Michelle :rolleyes:

Just leave the drive that your formatting plugged in, unplug the others
Format & install windows.

Plug your other drives in & transfer your files. You'll have to re-install your programs though.

I keep coming on here with the things I was going to say already taken! :D

I'm just going to have to agree with and back up what Gibant said.

Good luck with it.

ep2002 said:
Help !

My integrated board's video card must have gone (no comments pls., I didn't have enough money at the time), so we have to replace the WHOLE MB.

The problem is, Win 2000 doesn't allow you to just copy on top of itself.

So we have to reformat.

I have 4 drives on my puter right now & someone is suggesting I reformat H & then make it C & then move everything over.

How does this sound to you all & I need to know how move everything over from one drive to a next easily without screwing up any data.

Some of the programs I can reinstall, others I can't.

I hope you are having a good Sunday !

Michelle :rolleyes:

Why ?
we have to replace the WHOLE MB
Get a removeable hard drive case,fits into a cdrom bay.I have one.
Remember gang,this is what i gave .
:p ;)

I think I'm a bit confused - if your motherboards video card went out, then why do you have to reformat? Or are these two seperate problems: You want to get a new mobo and reformat? Or am I totally confused :p

Hopefully I'll be able to help you more with a little clarity. Good luck

Itsme

Hmmm... or you could just buy a new Graphics Card? Cause you'll need on in most cases anyway if you buy a new Motherboard and you'll be able to get a better one if you don't buy the motherboard as well.

Just get a new motherboard and hook up your drives, video card, CPU, memory and away you go. The new drivers for the new motherboard will automatically load up from Windows 2000 (will might need the Windows 2000 CD or access to the internet DSL or Cable).

No need to reformat anything, just insert drives and turn on computer.

If you want to start over that is a different story.

So what do you wish to do?

That's the problem, the programs.

I have a few programs I have no idea how to reinstall & just getting the instructions & strings etc. is a major hassle.

I'm working on one right now, but the programmer hasn't sent me the instructions.

Then there's finding out how to reinstall PDF Writer and Distiller so it attaches to my Word Perfect & Word.

It's such a headache, it's not funny
gibant1 said:
Just leave the drive that your formatting plugged in, unplug the others
Format & install windows.

Plug your other drives in & transfer your files. You'll have to re-install your programs though.
:confused:

We were trying to figure out a way to just copy all the stuff from one HD to the new one with the fresh install, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

Now my partner's come up w/ the idea to buy a new case & HD & do it that way.

Comments?

Thanks & sorry for the delay, I've been swamped with work.

Have a great night !

Michelle ;)

You must have missed the part where I said I have an integrated board.

Thanks

Michelle

Itsme said:
I think I'm a bit confused - if your motherboards video card went out, then why do you have to reformat? Or are these two seperate problems: You want to get a new mobo and reformat? Or am I totally confused :p

Hopefully I'll be able to help you more with a little clarity. Good luck

Itsme

Back
Top Bottom