Video card to be used with HDTV for best picture?

hamann1000

Beta member
Currently I have a gforce 4 mx440 video card which only has svideo out being connected to my TV. Watching movies from my computer on to my HDTV is alright but was wondering now since I just bought a HDTV if it can be better? If I buy a new video card that has component out on the back will movies be better qualitly on my HDTV than currently (using the svideo out on my gforce card)? What is the best card that will clone my computer screen onto my HDTV? any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks

Woah; erm... for a HDTV you'd want something powerful. If you're an nVidia person - as you have a nVidia Card already. Then for a HDTV (what size is the screen?) I would have to say go for the 6800 - you will certainly notice the difference but it is expensive.

If that is too expensive; the 5950 - or work your way down from there until you get the price you want. Basically; the higher the better if you want it to run on a HDTV - but basically if the TV is more than 20" then you'll need the 6800.

hamann1000 said:
Currently I have a gforce 4 mx440 video card which only has svideo out being connected to my TV. Watching movies from my computer on to my HDTV is alright but was wondering now since I just bought a HDTV if it can be better? If I buy a new video card that has component out on the back will movies be better qualitly on my HDTV than currently (using the svideo out on my gforce card)? What is the best card that will clone my computer screen onto my HDTV? any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks
What format are these movies ? avi,mpg ?
You can't make them better then they are,no matter what HDTV you have.Just get the most they have to give,better than you where maybe.
HDTV is just that HD"TV"
not video input.

bluto said:
What format are these movies ? avi,mpg ?
You can't make them better then they are,no matter what HDTV you have.Just get the most they have to give,better than you where maybe.
HDTV is just that HD"TV"
not video input.
This the idea is to get a crisper picture on his computer, play games on a better quality, and watch movies. Movies can be DVDs too? :p And Movies downloaded can be of quality enough to notice on a HDTV - specifically if you download DVD ISOs or DVD VOBs.

yes these movies are avi and divx, ect. With svideo on the back of my , its not clear at all. I cant even make out most of the words on my tv.

I just thought that if I were to take the solely VGA out that connects to my monitor, split the signal and connect it to the component in on the back of my tv, that I would get better picture. If that wouldnt work I thought that a newer (top of the line video card, ati or nvidia) will allow me to use DVI out thus giving me better picture quality on my tv.

I don't think the VGA would do it - and it certainly wouldn't be worth using a HDTV if it could. But the DVI socket on a new 6800 would certainly do it (as I said, the 6800 is used to power two (requires a 4 DVI Socket version; but the power is the same) of the 30" TFT Apple Monitor up to 4.1 Million Pixels :cool: so that will do it very well!

Really depends on your budget?

Lord Kalthorn said:
See, that is the point of it Bluto.
===========
Yes this is my point.
Video out sucks.It's a waste of time.I gave up.
Burn the avi's etc to a vcd or svcd and play through a dvd direct video input.bluto

Have you decided on anything yet?

Back
Top Bottom