Computer Hardware Failure

phubbs

Solid State Member
Hi,

Iwould be very grateful for any help on the following problem.

After about a year of trouble free operation when I turned on my PC last week nothing happened - no light, no fans, no noise. What is the most likely cause of the fault and what tests could I do to verify the fault.

Many thanks

Pete

is the switch on your power supply on? if it is maybe it has gone bad and you may need to replace... does it show any signs of power at all?

Hi,

No, there doesn't appear to be any lights on at all. When I press the power on switch nothing happens.

Pete

Sounds like the Power Supply has bit the dust. If the system is still under warranty get a free replacement. If not buy a decent PSU such as Taxan, Zalman, or Antec.

CJ said:
Sounds like the Power Supply has bit the dust. If the system is still under warranty get a free replacement. If not buy a decent PSU such as Taxan, Zalman, or Antec.
Stop sending people out to spend money so quick.A bit of dust.now really you can do better than that .
So maybe you blew a fuse or circuit breaker.Plug a lamp into your PC bar connection and see if you "blew the circuit" and not the PWS.
You do have a Surge protection bar ? don't you ?
If not then it might be "game over" for all.
:D

Yeah; could have been a surge - but I doubt it.

Are you sure the Motherboard is connected properly? Is the Power Supply Switch On? Does your Front Power Supply button work?

Yeh ive had this problem a few times, open up your computer and disconnect the powersupply from everything, take it outside and just blow all the dust out of it. plug it all back in and it should work fine...

This may sound wierd but it honestly works lol!

Power supply

Thanks for all your responses. It looks as though it must be the power supply. I will try the dust removal first.

How does fitting a new power supply rate on the difficulty scale?

Pete

Its not that hard; its just quite time consuming and teedious. Just makes sure you try and keep your wires out of the way of the Processor Fans.

Back
Top Bottom