operating systems

maverickiv

Baseband Member
alright. i got past the loading on my comp screen and it says that there is no operating system... now i KNOW that is not true. how can i fix? by the way... all the help i've been given i greatly appreciate guys. thanks... except u bluto... u have actually made me dumber. thanks for the help though man! nice effort :)

Lol; erm... sounds like the Boot.ini has been editted in some way - when you put in the XP CD and Boot up from there - does it ask you if you want to repair Windows? That will sort out the Boot.ini as well.

maverickiv said:
alright. i got past the loading on my comp screen and it says that there is no operating system... now i KNOW that is not true. how can i fix? by the way... all the help i've been given i greatly appreciate guys. thanks... except u bluto... u have actually made me dumber. thanks for the help though man! nice effort :)
Report 2 is sent,keep it up dummy.

Lord Kalthorn said:
Lol; erm... sounds like the Boot.ini has been editted in some way - when you put in the XP CD and Boot up from there - does it ask you if you want to repair Windows? That will sort out the Boot.ini as well.
Editing system files :
Really now if that was the case,why wasn't that included in the ?
eg: I edited boot.ini and now i can't boot to Windows.
It's just a matter of being a newbie.
so
Is that the best you can do ? I can but it's not welcomed.Oh well.
:D
there is no operating system... now i KNOW that is not true
Whow,so how are you posting ? Hee Hee.
;) :p

bluto said:
Report 2 is sent,keep it up dummy.
Don't think it was really a realistic case for a report; he hardly insulted you did he? He just said you confused him.

bluto said:
Editing system files :
Really now if that was the case,why wasn't that included in the ?
eg: I edited boot.ini and now i can't boot to Windows.
It's just a matter of being a newbie.
so
Is that the best you can do ? I can but it's not welcomed.Oh well.
:D
there is no operating system... now i KNOW that is not true
Whow,so how are you posting ? Hee Hee.
;) :p
Most people have access to a Library, or friends' computer; so...

And the Boot.ini can be editted by any program; or may just be having a problem and have been deleted, or lost. Not always down to user error; and even if it is; its hard to see when you're doing it. Point is; if that is the answer (not saying it is) - then he didn't know he had done it, and even if he did and left it out of his post - we're here to help him - not insult his ability to write questions or use a computer.

Heres
from a friendly at least computer.
1.I have no boot.ini files.
2.I have no problems
I boot to Windows
3.What is your version of a boot.ini ?
I have 498 *.ini files
Please paste "boot.ini" contents in your reply.
;)

Hmm... (it'd be helpfull to know what OS you are using)
It could be that the boot.ini file is missing.
(assuming that there is a boot.ini file (NT based systems))

The best way to get a boot.ini file would be to either use a dos boot-disk which you can get from www.bootdisk.com.
where you can boot into DOS to find the files.
If you use windows NT, 2000 or XP then there is a chance you have an NTFS filesystem, in this case you'll find that a DOS boot disk won't be able to 'see' the disk. In this situation you could use a Linux boot disk, (I recomend Toms Root Boot Linux on a floppy). This will let you access an NTFS partition.

Your boot.ini file is the file that points to the opperating systems on yuor hard disk.
and should lok something like...
Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server" /fastdetect

You could repair this using the recovery console on the installation cd (as LK said earlier)

If you have a pre-Nt system.
Windows 95/98/98SE/ME then it could be that your boot secotor has been corrupted. in this case you should use the DOS boot sidk from bootdisk.com, noce you have DOS loaded on your sysem you should type
Code:
FDISK /MBR
This will erase and re-write your bot record and hopefully sort out your problems.

Back
Top Bottom