False advertising...read on.

deepthroat

In Runtime
Earlier today I was looking through some DVD ripping programs to buy when I came across one with promissing features, the software is called "DVD Ripper" by:COSMI corporation.

I got it home and installed it, so far so good, but when step 1 came up it gave me a message "Cannot copy copy protected DVD due to local regulations and international treaties"

My question is, why buy something that you can't even use?
I'm not trying to copy for profit(which is illegal to begin with)I just wanted a way to backup my most favored movies.

If these products do NOT perform the way they are meant to, then I see no reason why they shouldn't take them off the shelves!
We, as citizens, should have the right to back up our own personal video collection.

At the very least, there should be a message printed on the back of the software stating the regulations and restrictions of the program.

What do you guys think of this?

deepthroat said:
Earlier today I was looking through some DVD ripping programs to buy when I came across one with promissing features, the software is called "DVD Ripper" by:COSMI corporation.

I got it home and installed it, so far so good, but when step 1 came up it gave me a message "Cannot copy copy protected DVD due to local regulations and international treaties"

I'm not trying to copy for profit(which is illegal to begin with)I just wanted a way to backup my most favored movies.

If these products do NOT perform the way they are meant to, then I see no reason why they shouldn't take them off the shelves!
We, as citizens, should have the right to back up our own personal video collection.

At the very least, there should be a message printed on the back of the software stating the regulations and restrictions of the program.

that sucks. but did that happen with more than 1 dvd. cause i know that some dvds are protected and do not allow copying.. also. u can try to buy a program that can somehow take off that copyright protection.. or try burning another dvd..

I tried almost all of them and no luck, the same exact message on every one.I think it's because of the area I live in.

deepthroat said:

Did software come with your "DVD burner",if so use it.Otherwise go to the website of who made it for a list of compatible software.If Nero is there then i recommend it.
As far as protected,just proceed,have you at least done this ?
You are entiitled to 1 copy.but
Are you burning or ripping though,big diff.Is this a CD_RW project then.
:eek:
I gave up on this.
;)

You can generally copy the DVD onto your computer. Making sure you take both the VOBs and the IFOs. Then you can open the VOBs in whatever DVD Player you have on the computer.

It is harder to write them though. Nero will only write VOBs - which is useful - but writing IFOs is not fun at all - and they need to be written exactly right.

deepthroat said:

Are you sure you wherent allowed to ignore this and continue.
Try again OR contact Jack the Ripper At DVD Ripper.
:D

gibant was right, if you run a dvd player in the background it will unlock the drive.

Another thing is even though you have bought the movie on DVD it is still illegal to copy it, even for your own personal backup reasons.
It's fine to rip CD backups to mp3 players and to carry around on a day to day basis.
But not movies. (source)

Back
Top Bottom