Hard Drive/Burning DVD's

leitz_69

Baseband Member
I just bought a new Western Digital 200gb hard drive for my Dell computer (P4 2.5, 512 SDRAM, 80 Western Digital hard drive). I am putting the new hard drive as the slave and leaving my old hard drive as master. I put the new IDE cable that it give me and connected everything up and install my new hard drive. For some reason when i go to burn dvd files with Nero it takes forever! Instead of burning within 15 mins., it burns in 45 mins. and takes all my cpu usuage so now i can't do anything while burning, not even looking through my hard drive which is something so simple. The buffer level on nero goes up and down, before i had install the hard drive the buffer level stayed in the 90's. I upgraded to the newest nero and no change. Now i thought it was the hard drive so i put the dvd files back on the 80 gb drive and it does the same. Now I am thinking it's the cable, but it's brand new! I don't know what to do, I so consfused and frustrated!
Can anybody help me?!

when u are burning the dvd files is it from the dvd r? or is it a program that ur downloading. if so it is most likely a conflict between ur master/slaves. If u have the 2nd hard drive on the same as the master drive and it is working at the same time then it is going to take a hella long time.

leitz_69 said:
I just bought a new Western Digital 200gb hard drive for my Dell computer (P4 2.5, 512 SDRAM, 80 Western Digital hard drive). I am putting the new hard drive as the slave and leaving my old hard drive as master. I put the new IDE cable that it give me and connected everything up and install my new hard drive. For some reason when i go to burn dvd files with Nero it takes forever! Instead of burning within 15 mins., it burns in 45 mins. and takes all my cpu usuage so now i can't do anything while burning, not even looking through my hard drive which is something so simple. The buffer level on nero goes up and down, before i had install the hard drive the buffer level stayed in the 90's. I upgraded to the newest nero and no change. Now i thought it was the hard drive so i put the dvd files back on the 80 gb drive and it does the same. Now I am thinking it's the cable, but it's brand new! I don't know what to do, I so consfused and frustrated!
Can anybody help me?!
It takes me 15 min's to burn a cdr of 700 mb.at 40x12x48x.
How much are you burning ? Does it really need a dvd disk ?
Anything as complex as this needs all your cpu and memory.Shut down all running app's and go for a walk.or have a beer.etc.
p.s. Use Nero Express.Don't change any installed defaults,relax.
;)
Signed,
anybody

Before I had installed the new hard drive it took me 15 mins. to burn 4.2 gb on DVD+R. Now it takes 45 mins. and it shouldn't. I tried to put the hard drives on cable select because the cable the hard drive came with could do that, the black 40 pin connector was for the primary and the gray 40 pin was for the secondary and still doesn't work!

how about the jumper settings on the back? witht the 4 columns of pins. do u have the dvd on the primary or secondary setting? check both cd drives to make sure that they're not conflicting with each other due to fighting over the same place (secondary master/slave). im not talking bout the ide cables but the pins beside where the cable is inserted.

leitz_69 said:
Before I had installed the new hard drive it took me 15 mins. to burn 4.2 gb on DVD+R. Now it takes 45 mins. and it shouldn't. I tried to put the hard drives on cable select because the cable the hard drive came with could do that, the black 40 pin connector was for the primary and the gray 40 pin was for the secondary and still doesn't work!
Are you willing to do this then,i assume Windows is on the 80 gb.
Remove the new 200 gb and go back to where you where.
Where are the files located that you drag and drop or assign to Nero ?
Are your ultra dma detected properly ?
There are many more ?'s i could ask.Ready ?
:confused:

I have a NEC ND-2500A and the jumper setting is on CSEL. Should I put it on another, like the master or slave?

leitz_69 said:
I have a NEC ND-2500A and the jumper setting is on CSEL. Should I put it on another, like the master or slave?
Yes.the end connector is the Master and the center is slave.
Your 80 seems to be Primary master,as it should,but i recommend you get or use the 2nd cable and make your 200 Secondary master.
Came with hard drive.
It will probably then needs fdisk and format to be your storage drive.
If that was your intention.
I put my cd drives as slaves.
But be sure Windows sysdm has dma enabled.

I put everything back on my C: drive and when i go to burn it only takes 15 minutes now. If says my new hard drive DMA is off, how do I turn it on?

Back
Top Bottom