Memory Question

Correction: I ment Abit "KV8" If you guys want you can check out my future computer specs under the "CPU Specs Thread." It should be on page two of the forums, I think I'm the very last post.

root said:
hmmm, Like your other thread! Bluto, your obvious rudeness towards other users wouldn't be so bad if you actually got it right at least even half the time.

Firstly, there are many, many types of memory, ranging from
32 pin simms (in two different speeds)
through to 72 pin simms (in three different speeds)
to 168 pin Dimms (again in three different clock speeds
not forgetting of course that there is also 184 pin dimms.

There is ram dram, sd ram ddr ram, and Ram bus, Dims, Rimms, sims, since ther was never really a specific statement about what motherboard was being used how can you possibly only assume that there is only one type of memory.

For instance my mother board will allow me to use 164 pin dims in speeds of either 100Mhz, 120Mhz or 133Mhz (those speeds quoted are the speeds of the front side bus, and not the processor speed).

I can also use 184 pin Rimms at speeds of either 133Mhz, or266Mhz.

I compramised performance and price and went for 133MHz Dimms.

Generally the faster the FSB the faster the RAM will perform. 184 pinn varieties are usually a bit more expensive, but are usually made for running at hgher FSB speeds which will let you see more perfomance.

Without knowing the exact parts you ar4e buying (e.g if you are using a page to change parts about rather than ordering specific parts from a catalogue, it will be hard to build a 'top spec' machine.
Generally I find that the Ram Manufacturer means nothing, if it was to ever go wrong you'd take it back to the shop anyway, and the manufacturer will give a lifetime guarentee. some people just prefere big names, and some people prefere to use the generic optoins, that cost less.

In the end the manufacturer will make no difference to the performance that is seen.

A MBD only has "1" type of memory slots
This isn't rude

Quote : root,NOW this is rude.
Firstly, there are many, many types of memory, ranging from
32 pin simms (in two different speeds)
through to 72 pin simms (in three different speeds)
to 168 pin Dimms (again in three different clock speeds
not forgetting of course that there is also 184 pin dimms.

Its never been clarified if it was type or brand,so i repeat and add,buy what is the best the motheboard will accept and upgrade later with the same brand and type.
What is rude here,i answered the question,you planted confussion.
:mad:

You didn't answer the question, You gave your usual half asresd bog standard reply that half helped.

You were also wrong.
My motherboard takes both 164Pinn Dimms and 184pin simms.

I have another motherboard that takes 72 pin simms and 164pin dimms.

You were wrong, ust accept it. don't keep comming back to people re-itterating the same crap over and over again.

Since I have a computer sitting open next to me I can get the model of such a board.
go here there is even a picture showing both memory slot types on the same board.
Face it all you seem to do is give out crap advice, and then complain when the original poster doesn't come back to thank you.

Right now...
I have pointed out that there is more than one type of memory.
And sucessfully prooved (with photographic evidence) that more than one type of ram slot can co-exist on the same board.

Do you have anything else to say on the matter?
Perhaps you'd like to make some other 'computer fun fact' up off the top of your head?

if not I suggest we leave this part of the conversation here and get back to trying to give (usefull and correct) advice.

Barrett said:
Amen to Root. He speaks the thruth.
So did i.
I repeat,buy what is the best the motheboard will accept. And don't mix 164 and 184 as you'll be set at 164.
Besides the manual will guide you.I took mine to my local computer store.

I'm sorry Ithough that when you said
Bluto said:
A MBD only has "1" type of memory slots
You meant that a motherboard only has one type of memory slot.

But you didn't speak the truth as I showed you that some motherboards may have two types of memory slot!

Buying the fastest for your board is a safe bet, but this wil not always be the 184 Pin type.

For instance on an older PC of mine I have both 164 Dim slots and 184 Dim slots, yet the multipliers are fixed at either 100 or 133 for CPU and Memory speeds. Therefore I could spend an extra £20 per stick, but the money would be wasted as there would be absolutly no speed increase.

Your motherboard manual will tell you about what speeds of RAM and CPU you can use.

Since you are building this with a PC builder page chances are you won't have the manual. you could phone the shop for a better response.

root said:
I'm sorry Ithough that when you said
You meant that a motherboard only has one type of memory slot.

But you didn't speak the truth as I showed you that some motherboards may have two types of memory slot!

Buying the fastest for your board is a safe bet, but this wil not always be the 184 Pin type.

For instance on an older PC of mine I have both 164 Dim slots and 184 Dim slots, yet the multipliers are fixed at either 100 or 133 for CPU and Memory speeds. Therefore I could spend an extra £20 per stick, but the money would be wasted as there would be absolutly no speed increase.

Your motherboard manual will tell you about what speeds of RAM and CPU you can use.

Since you are building this with a PC builder page chances are you won't have the manual. you could phone the shop for a better response.
Your may be right,a mbd may have two types of memory slots!
We where left guessing.Only the mbd manual or a check at there website will answer that.You can't get that here !
but i didn't think the history of PC ram needed to be outlined.I mixed in my time too.My kick in the ass reply was uncalled for.

:eek:

Back
Top Bottom