Building new computer, worried about new technology

Barrett

In Runtime
HEy everyone. I'm building a new computer but I am a bit worried. I know DDR2 is soon coming out, BTX Motherboards and PCI Express. I'm concerned that when I build my super computer it will soon become obsolete. Do you guys think it will be a while before all of these new technologys become standard? Do I need to worry? Thanks for any help

Barrett said:
HEy everyone. I'm building a new computer but I am a bit worried. I know DDR2 is soon coming out, BTX Motherboards and PCI Express. I'm concerned that when I build my super computer it will soon become obsolete. Do you guys think it will be a while before all of these new technologys become standard? Do I need to worry? Thanks for any help
Doesn't this say it all ?
http://www.computerforums.org/search.php?searchid=8591
The only thing that won't become obsolete is GOD.
Your being controlled my BG now,study.Nothing lasts forever.some day we'll have a 1 zillion gb cpu i guess.
:p

Personally, I you do have to scope the market before you buy a computer if you're putting a great deal of money into it and want it to last for 2 years (my personal time span for a Main Computer) and keep doing exactly what you want.

At Christmas I thought, when I brought my computer, was a good time. You have to think first; how long do you want it to last, what is it you want to do with it, and how much money you have to spend on it.

DDR2 is good, as is PCI Express - point is would you buy these when they come out if you wait. Would you want DDR2; would it be in your budget. Would you want PCI Express; or would you want to keep with the AGP which I personally believe will beat the PCI Express in time simply because it is a better design.

If you wait too long, the less you have your computer before it depreciates. Another thing is do you need a new computer, or can you wait for a market flat to come up in order to buy your PC like what happened in Christmas and, even a surprise to me, is still basically happening now (7 months only Intel+400Mhz/AMD+400 which is amazing).

There are a lot of things to consider. I'm happy if you can answer those questions in another post to help you think about it; but really its something you should do. Buy PC Buyer and flick through the Adverts. Look for a good offer, a money off, a buy this and get this free. Then think about how much you have and how much you could stretch that, then if you need a new one right now.

But personally, even with DDR2 and PCI Express - this is a good time to buy a PC - but not one of the best times.

Thanks for you post Lord. The only thing I'm worried about is how to get the best gaming performance out of my computer. Do you think DDR2 and PCI express will affects graphics perfromance and CPU speed in a significant way? If you look at my sig you can see my computer specs. I have been running wiht these componenets for a while and everything works just fine except for gaming. What I'm saying is my computer I'm building will work for Internet searching and the such, but since my computer I currently have isn't good for gaming, I'm not very smart about how long gaming technology lasts. My computer I'm building will have a BFG 6800, AMD 3400(overclocked), 2 36k WD raptor HD's and a gig of ram, so I am pretty sure it will be able to stand up to the new technology coming out. What are your thoughts?

all computers become obsolete-for over 20 years now.
just get what you want and figure you'll be happy for 2 years.-Then decide-do I want a new one.

Barrett said:
Thanks for you post Lord. The only thing I'm worried about is how to get the best gaming performance out of my computer. Do you think DDR2 and PCI express will affects graphics perfromance and CPU speed in a significant way? If you look at my sig you can see my computer specs. I have been running wiht these componenets for a while and everything works just fine except for gaming. What I'm saying is my computer I'm building will work for Internet searching and the such, but since my computer I currently have isn't good for gaming, I'm not very smart about how long gaming technology lasts. My computer I'm building will have a BFG 6800, AMD 3400(overclocked), 2 36k WD raptor HD's and a gig of ram, so I am pretty sure it will be able to stand up to the new technology coming out. What are your thoughts?
Yeah, that certainly will. I don't think, on a PC like that, that DDR2 or PCI Express will make it drastically slower seeming or make it backwards.

I would go with it now.

Back
Top Bottom