Memory Question

Barrett

In Runtime
I can't decide what memory to put inot my new computer. My first question is, does the type of memory you use really matter? I am building my PC throught monarchcomputer.com and they give many memory choices but no way to distinguish which is better than others. They only list the names. I know corsair is a leading name, but with my system fully configured I've about reached my budget, and don't have much more money to go with better memory. Will I see the difference in my gaming performance with better memory? Thanks guys for being so patient with me!

First i think you need to do a little more reseach.
A MBD only has "1" type of memory slots.If you mean brands then Kingston is ok.
As far as video,thats a completely diff thing.Study this hard.
:)

Barrett said:
I can't decide what memory to put inot my new computer. My first question is, does the type of memory you use really matter? I am building my PC throught monarchcomputer.com and they give many memory choices but no way to distinguish which is better than others. They only list the names. I know corsair is a leading name, but with my system fully configured I've about reached my budget, and don't have much more money to go with better memory. Will I see the difference in my gaming performance with better memory? Thanks guys for being so patient with me!
Thanks for not being so patient with me.It's obvious you don't know enough to make this decision.
So what is it that doesnt make since.
The i and the e are 5 keys apart;so since doesn't make sence.
Good Luck.
:D

WTF are you talking about, does anyone else understand what BLUTO is talking about?!

hmmm, Like your other thread! Bluto, your obvious rudeness towards other users wouldn't be so bad if you actually got it right at least even half the time.

Firstly, there are many, many types of memory, ranging from
32 pin simms (in two different speeds)
through to 72 pin simms (in three different speeds)
to 168 pin Dimms (again in three different clock speeds
not forgetting of course that there is also 184 pin dimms.

There is ram dram, sd ram ddr ram, and Ram bus, Dims, Rimms, sims, since ther was never really a specific statement about what motherboard was being used how can you possibly only assume that there is only one type of memory.

For instance my mother board will allow me to use 164 pin dims in speeds of either 100Mhz, 120Mhz or 133Mhz (those speeds quoted are the speeds of the front side bus, and not the processor speed).

I can also use 184 pin Rimms at speeds of either 133Mhz, or266Mhz.

I compramised performance and price and went for 133MHz Dimms.

Generally the faster the FSB the faster the RAM will perform. 184 pinn varieties are usually a bit more expensive, but are usually made for running at hgher FSB speeds which will let you see more perfomance.

Without knowing the exact parts you ar4e buying (e.g if you are using a page to change parts about rather than ordering specific parts from a catalogue, it will be hard to build a 'top spec' machine.
Generally I find that the Ram Manufacturer means nothing, if it was to ever go wrong you'd take it back to the shop anyway, and the manufacturer will give a lifetime guarentee. some people just prefere big names, and some people prefere to use the generic optoins, that cost less.

In the end the manufacturer will make no difference to the performance that is seen.

if you are buying a new board I would suggest the most ddr memory you can afford. Windows xp likes 500 megs or more. Its nice to open lots of internet pages without memory errors.

Thanks for the info. I'm still a little confuzed but that's only my fault. When it comes to computer knowledge memory is where I suffer. All i know is I am going with Corsair (DDR 400) 3200, and will most likely be using and Abit K8V SE Deluxe. Do you guys think this memeory will be good for next gen games. What about the motherboard. Any mobo reccomendations from you guys. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom