how to start my window 98 again?

i want to create a dual boot with win xp and suse linux can any one please help me out thanks

Bluto said:
How as stated
My problems is I can't open my window 98, internet, or other programs. I have some very important documents in my computer. What should I do? How can I fix it? If you know, please help me. I'm appreciated.
===========
Thats the big ?
What if there are no 6 rescue disks ? 6 x 1.44 mb.not much backup.
I have wme and Nortons said i cant do this.Can W98 make 6 floppys and who bothers ? Too late now if you could.I doubt if this backs up data but a cd-rw does.

Bluote said:
You title contradicts your problem as you did get to Windows,What does your joystick have to do with this ? (joy.cpl)but where a little hasty fixing what you didn't know how.Did you by any chance save the registry in the past.*.reg ?
In the meantime if you get get to Windows,you can restore bad or missing files by useing the W98 cd.Try F1,for how to.

But please tell me why you deleted Nortons instead of uninstalling .You probably have the registry going nuts trying to find this info.
Install Nortans again.If you don't wany or need it use the uninstall in Control Panel.
Reply to your post?
What if there are no rescue discs?- we've assumed that their isn't and have recomemded using a linux CD to boot into an OS where she/he can browse throuhg the files and save the ones she/he wants to a floppy or CD.
Rescue Disks who bothers?- I don't know, I've never bothered, admitidly I've had to use the XP rescue console (But thats on the CD) most of the time resuce disks get lost / wipped when someone needs a disk.

You title contradicts your problem as you did get to Windows, - The trouble seems to occur before s/he actually gets into windows

What does your joystick have to do with this ? (joy.cpl) - the file is missing or moved and still referenced, that is stopping windows from loading fully as it is expecting to load that file.

Did you by any chance save the registry in the past.*.reg ? - Lets assume that s/he didn't or they might have already used that.

But please tell me why you deleted Nortons instead of uninstalling - The world of home computing is a wonderfull one, lets assume that they were not too sure of what they were doing (My parents used to have a nasty habbit of uninstalling things in this way.

You probably have the registry going nuts trying to find this info. -yes

Install Nortans again - How do you suggest s/he does that when s/he cannot boot into windows?

If you don't wany or need it use the uninstall in Control Panel. - How do you suggest that s/he does this without the use of windows?

Are you serious,live linux cd.
a cd is a physical device,how do you download it ?
50MB ISO image, will take hardly any time to download, all you have to do is create the CD.

(good replies?)

root said:
Reply to your post?
What if there are no rescue discs?- we've assumed that their isn't and have recomemded using a linux CD to boot into an OS where she/he can browse throuhg the files and save the ones she/he wants to a floppy or CD.
Rescue Disks who bothers?- I don't know, I've never bothered, admitidly I've had to use the XP rescue console (But thats on the CD) most of the time resuce disks get lost / wipped when someone needs a disk.

You title contradicts your problem as you did get to Windows, - The trouble seems to occur before s/he actually gets into windows

What does your joystick have to do with this ? (joy.cpl) - the file is missing or moved and still referenced, that is stopping windows from loading fully as it is expecting to load that file.

Did you by any chance save the registry in the past.*.reg ? - Lets assume that s/he didn't or they might have already used that.

But please tell me why you deleted Nortons instead of uninstalling - The world of home computing is a wonderfull one, lets assume that they were not too sure of what they were doing (My parents used to have a nasty habbit of uninstalling things in this way.

You probably have the registry going nuts trying to find this info. -yes

Install Nortans again - How do you suggest s/he does that when s/he cannot boot into windows?

If you don't wany or need it use the uninstall in Control Panel. - How do you suggest that s/he does this without the use of windows?

Are you serious,live linux cd.
a cd is a physical device,how do you download it ?
50MB ISO image, will take hardly any time to download, all you have to do is create the CD.

(good replies?)
I know a bit about iso images,but what good is someone elses.Arent you supposed to create your system iso an not use someones in Iraq maybe.
========== Meanwhile follow this closely.
I deleted some programs in order to make the computer runs faster. My computer goes wrong after I deleted the Norton AntiVirus software. So, my friends told me install the setup problem. I did but it still doesn't work.
I went to F8, command point and type “cd options”, “cabs”, setup, etc. Then it automatically install window 98 for me. After that, one window pop up and said I have restored a good registry. Next window it said the following system files have been replaced with older versions by a program I recently ran. These files are currently in use and can't be automatically repaired. C:\WINDOW\SYSTEM\joy.cpl and C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL.DLL
Next screen said NAV Realtime Protection is unable to start! System.386 is not loaded. I may need to reinstall Norton AntiVirus to correct the problem.
Even though I put my Norton software in my drive, it doesn't work. So I restart my computer and get the following message. Can't find a device file that may be need to run Windows or a Window application.
The Windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file regers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists. If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program. If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
C:\PROGRA`1\STMANTEC\SYMEUNT.386

=========What does the following really say about whats above ?
My problems is I can't open my window 98, internet, or other programs. I have some very important documents in my computer. What should I do? How can I fix it? If you know, please help me. I'm appreciated.
=======
In the meantime crystal99,thank for nothing.
:( :mad:

bluto said:
I know a bit about iso images,but what good is someone elses.Arent you supposed to create your system iso an not use someones in Iraq maybe.
========== Meanwhile follow this closely.
I deleted some programs in order to make the computer runs faster. My computer goes wrong after I deleted the Norton AntiVirus software. So, my friends told me install the setup problem. I did but it still doesn't work.
I went to F8, command point and type “cd options”, “cabs”, setup, etc. Then it automatically install window 98 for me. After that, one window pop up and said I have restored a good registry. Next window it said the following system files have been replaced with older versions by a program I recently ran. These files are currently in use and can't be automatically repaired. C:\WINDOW\SYSTEM\joy.cpl and C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL.DLL
Next screen said NAV Realtime Protection is unable to start! System.386 is not loaded. I may need to reinstall Norton AntiVirus to correct the problem.
Even though I put my Norton software in my drive, it doesn't work. So I restart my computer and get the following message. Can't find a device file that may be need to run Windows or a Window application.
The Windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file regers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists. If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program. If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
C:\PROGRA`1\STMANTEC\SYMEUNT.386

=========What does the following really say about whats above ?
=======
In the meantime crystal99,thank for nothing,for a week.
:( :mad:
One more time,please comment.I don't care about some will some won't but just that "ALL SHOULD"
:mad:

Well i had symevnt.386 deleted from norton antivirus so i would just delete that from the registry do a search for the missing file once it is foulnd it delete it. If you need help with the registry contact microsoft on www.microsoft.com hope this works

I never saw this the first time round...
but I'll respond to Blutos post now.

Perhaps Crystal99 didn't respond with raptures of thanks and praising your greatnes because you didn't actually help them.
Get over yourself.

Back
Top Bottom