Tape Drive

tobyco

Beta member
I have a backup tape that was given to me, however the person who gave me the tape did not know what type of tape drive that was used. It was in a Dell server about 4 years old with either a model or serial # of 918QB01 or 918Q801. The reason why I ask is that I need to convert the data on the tape into CD's and have been told that I need to know the type of tape drive in order to complete that process. Please help :>( because I am having a difficult time trying to find out the type of tape drive.

Thanks, TB

Id look on the drive for a model number and with luck manufacturer. If not see what kind of chips are used try a google search with a question like

tape drive using nec 9864 ic

maybe youll get lucky

tobyco said:
I have a backup tape that was given to me, however the person who gave me the tape did not know what type of tape drive that was used. It was in a Dell server about 4 years old with either a model or serial # of 918QB01 or 918Q801. The reason why I ask is that I need to convert the data on the tape into CD's and have been told that I need to know the type of tape drive in order to complete that process. Please help :>( because I am having a difficult time trying to find out the type of tape drive.

Thanks, TB
4 years you say.I did this in 1995.Where do you install a tape drive these days ? Does it appear in My Compter ? If so then copy its contents to your HD and go from there.
:D

Gary, thanks for the reply, however that is my problem. The tape drive and server no longer exist. I tried Google to no avail. Any other suggestions?

bluto

The tape drive was in a server in a remote office. I was networked into the server but did not have a tape drive @ my location. The server is no longer "alive". Any other suggestions?

Hello Lord Kalthorn

Therein lies the other problem. I do not have a tape drive(r) only a back up tape. Any other suggestions?

tobyco

Back
Top Bottom