Any way of testing a CPU?

Booza

Beta member
Hi all,

Is there any way of testing a CPU apart from the obvious bunging a new one in?

Probably best if I explain my problem :D

I have just put together a new system which is causing me grief. Motherboard is ASUS A7N8X Deluxe with an AMD XP3200 (OEM Barton)and 2 sticks of 256mb DDR 400 in dual channel mode.

The whole point of the upgrade was to boost to 400FSB/200 Mhz but the system won't run stable at anything above 100 Mhz, so I'm basically running at 1100 :confused:

I've done the obvious and checked the jumper setting is OK for 400FSB (even tried reversing it).

Way I figure it has to be one of 3 things:
a) Faulty Mobo
b) Faulty CPU
c) Memory incompatibility with Mobo

Problem is that it gets expensive trying to rectify this problem. Buying new memory chips, Mobo & CPU to try and isolate the problem is not an option ;)

I'm beginning to think it may be a faulty CPU but don't know of any of proving it without forking out for a new one!!

Any ideas anybody?

Adjust the FSB on your bios? No? I didnt realy see that said in your post. Just messing arounf with jumpers...

Booza said:
Hi all,

Is there any way of testing a CPU apart from the obvious bunging a new one in?

Probably best if I explain my problem :D

I have just put together a new system which is causing me grief. Motherboard is ASUS A7N8X Deluxe with an AMD XP3200 (OEM Barton)and 2 sticks of 256mb DDR 400 in dual channel mode.

The whole point of the upgrade was to boost to 400FSB/200 Mhz but the system won't run stable at anything above 100 Mhz, so I'm basically running at 1100 :confused:

I've done the obvious and checked the jumper setting is OK for 400FSB (even tried reversing it).

Way I figure it has to be one of 3 things:
a) Faulty Mobo
b) Faulty CPU
c) Memory incompatibility with Mobo

Problem is that it gets expensive trying to rectify this problem. Buying new memory chips, Mobo & CPU to try and isolate the problem is not an option ;)

I'm beginning to think it may be a faulty CPU but don't know of any of proving it without forking out for a new one!!

Any ideas anybody?
The way i see it is you might have goofed on compatible components.Why blame the cpu if it meets the mbd requirements [It does doesn't it]?
Or just be happy with what you've got.You made your choice and now you want them to do things they can't.
Get a drink and read your mbd manual front to back.
:D

Back
Top Bottom