new video card.. something's fishy...

loaf

Baseband Member
i picked up my new card yesterday. it's an msi fx5900xt. i put it in fine and it all works.. but when i went to the overclocking utility website it showed the core speed was 300Mhz. every site i have looked at says it's supposed to be 390-400. i am not sure what could be causing this. i am thinking the site may be inaccurate. so to make sure, whats a good overclocking utility i can use to see the core speed? mind you, if i am wrong and it is set to 400 i wont be touching the core speed. but i think it's a bit of a rip if it's only 300. i paid good money for it, so i dont think i should have to settle for a slower card.

I would recommend "Powerstrip" over clocking utility, I've never heard of any card not being compatible with their software.All GeForce series, all Radeon models, Rage and ATI FIRE.
Look it up on google and find the free download(Shareware version)From there, if you like it you can buy it over the internet.Pretty damn accurate I might add.

i got the freeware version of powerstip, and the core speed is right where it should be at 390Mhz. thanks a lot for the tip. i owe you one.

NP loaf thats why I'm here, to help.

HaloMaster2004, what do you want to overclock?
Graphics card or processor?
If its your graphics card, use powerstrip like I said, it's literally as easy as moving a slider!

Processor wise, you will need to enter your BIOS and crank up the Clock voltage and multipliers by very small incraments, but I don't recommend for beginers to overclock, it voids your waranty and can damage the processor if not done right...
From here I'll let you read up on the internet on how to overclock your model cpu.
If it's an AMD Athlon I can help you...

i want to overclock both, im going to be sincere, my video card sucks, because i havent installed yet my radeon, anyways, can a S3 graphics pro savage DDR be overclocked?

Does Powerstrip recognize your S3 graphics?
If so, open the utility in your task bar, it should be under performance settings (or something of the sort) after opening it, there should be two sliders to the left, one is your core speed and the other is your memory speed.When you start to overclock, move the slider only about 3-5 MHz on both sliders.After that, minimize the utility in your task bar again and start up a demanding 3d game, one that your card can support but you can't crank up the settings, and start playing, If you notice any rendering errors in the background or foreground, clock back down, if you notice no change, continue increasing the core and memory speeds by 3-5 MHz each while testing in between sesions.DO NOT SKIP TESTING WITH A GAME, OR IGNORE ANY KIND OF RENDERING ERROR!
On overclock-friendly cards you can go well above 80-100 MHz past the standard speeds!

Remember, don't increase the slider by more than 5 MHz at a time, doing so can cause the card to go into what I call SHOCK, after applying the changes the screen will flicker, an indication that you have gone too far in one session, like I said before, doing this voids your waranty and may cause permanent damage to your card.Just follow my directions and you'll be fine!

GOOD LUCK....

Back
Top Bottom