dual boot with windows xp and suse linux 9.0

root said:
Windows will not be able to read the linux format, and Linux will not be able to use a NTFS partition.
I know that Linux can read from an NTFS partition, thats why I'd recomend anyone who wants to recover data boots from a live linux CD, You'll notice how I cleverly included the word Use. IMHO to properly use a drive you need both read and write access.

Being able to read is pretty good since Microsft does not want to release details to the NTFS file format. After all, Windows CANNOT read any other OS file systems which is truly pathetic.

Thats to corner the competition. If it could; then that would allow other File Systems more of a chance.

I saw the Microsoft Office today! We had to go into Thames Valley Park and past dozens of other offices; but eventually found it. It looks very forboding. Saw that great piece of Rock with Microsoft on it though :D; and the fact that someone followed us back half way up the motorway didn't seem to matter after that. :D

In the end its all about competition isn't it. At the very least Microsoft should improve compatibility between different OSes. At least that would improve its public image and not make themselves seem like the selfish, dominating ppl that they really are.

thats whatthe DCOM components are, they are designed by SUN to ensure cross compatibility between machines when networked, and account for big endian and little endian technology being in place, since windows only runs on i386 (Big endian) machines there isn't really the need for support of formats intended for different architectures.

Big endian and little endian are terms used to desribed the order bits are saved in. with either the first half of the word being stored in the lowest memery location, or the last half of the word being stored in the lowest memoery location.

Unlike the EX2 filesystem NTFS is a secuer file system that makes use of file streams to encrypt data for security reasons, security through obscurity is not an ideal situation, but giving away details of what is currently the most trusted and secure file system would be stupid...

You wouldn't give everyone the keys to your house and just expect them not to come in, well it's the same with secure file systems, people have sensative data, you don' just give away the secrets to extracting that data, and trust that nobody will steal it.

iamroot said:
In the end its all about competition isn't it. At the very least Microsoft should improve compatibility between different OSes. At least that would improve its public image and not make themselves seem like the selfish, dominating ppl that they really are.
But thats what they are - and no about of pulling back would help their public image now. Only better products and a tightening of the lasso around the consumers' necks will do that now.

People are not as non-tech -savvy as they were in the early years of the computer. Sooner or later, no amont of nose tightening is going to help Microsoft.

Back
Top Bottom