Creating a network drive on Server 2000

righty1

Solid State Member
I am very new to Win 2000 Server. I have an older scuzzy drive on the server now that has 3 partitions (C,D,E) and a network drive (G). I am putting in a computer with a much larger IDE drive and need to create identical drives (just larger). How do I go about creating a network drive on the new hard drive?

You can't create a network drive on a local disk. A network drive is a disk in another computer. Anyway, you can just copy everything over to the new disk or use a program such as Norton Ghost.

So I would load Norton Ghost on the old server and create a ghost image on the old server, but how do I pull it over to the new server?

I think I should have been a little more specific. I don't believe I can use Ghost because it is a whole new box with new components (motherboard processor). Or can I still do that and just run the scsi drive off a scsi card that I can put into the new box and run it as a basically a slave drive to bring ghost over? Won't the new motherboard and everything else effect what's the Ghost image?

You want to keep the old host as a host or do you just want to upgrade it? Because if you want to upgrade it you could just put the old one as the main one in the new machine?

There is very little room on the old host, that is one reason why it is being upgraded. But when you are working on a workstation they say never take a hard drive from one and put it in a new one with different components because it can create conflicts. They always say to re-install the OS and applications if you are going to do that. Is it different with servers? Wouldn't taking the old hard drive out of the old server and just putting it in as the main hard drive in the new machine without re-installing create conflicts?

It probably would create conflicts - and it would be a better idea to reinstall all of the OS and the Programs, but if you want to keep the files on the old Drive then its either put the old drive in the New Machine as the Main Drive and just Reinstall the OS before you even load it up - or put the New Drive in as a Secondary and copy the files over. I would choose the Latter.

yep it will create conflict. i used ghost in all the hd in my pc (they're all identical in hardware) network but i manually installed the server separately.
ghost really makes the work much faster. thanks norton ghost ahehehe

Back
Top Bottom