Dos

Darcwolf777

Baseband Member
Hey everybody im new here and just had a question. Does every computer have ms dos and if so how would i access it? I have a new gateway with xp and cant seem to find it. Im starting to learn C++ and need to use it so help would be appreciated.

Darcwolf777 said:
Hey everybody im new here and just had a question. Does every computer have ms dos and if so how would i access it? I have a new gateway with xp and cant seem to find it. Im starting to learn C++ and need to use it so help would be appreciated.
NO NO NO,
You need an old Dos/Windows 1995 computer for this,there almost giveing them away.$50 or free.By the way get a book on C++ at the library.
Welcome to the 21st Century.
:eek:

haah yea. I have C++ for dummies its pretty good and has some softwaree with it. My old computer used to be like that but its gone seriously down hill since anyone could do anything on it. maybe ill get it repaired.

Darcwolf777 said:
haah yea. I have C++ for dummies its pretty good and has some softwaree with it. My old computer used to be like that but its gone seriously down hill since anyone could do anything on it. maybe ill get it repaired.
What kind of repairs ? I save old things.
;)

new versions of windows come with the programme cmd.exe which looks like DOS but works better... However if you really want DOS it is still available in windows XP, just go start > run > command.com

I don't know about you sometimes bluto-you can boot dos on almost any computer from a msdos boot floppy. But youll need a newer version like dos 6.22 which supports extended memory. You can even create an msdos boot cd. Some bios instruction sets in newer computers might give you some trouble. Turn off all the networking settings. Dos this way will not recognize modern harddrives though. Youll have to save your c++ programs on a floppy and then boot to windows and copy them to your harddrive. The xp command.com does not have a full dos instruction set. It is less than functional for someone who wants to learn c from the ground up-get dos 6.22 and learn it-then take a shot at programing in C++.

Gary Graefen said:
I don't know about you sometimes bluto-you can boot dos on almost any computer from a msdos boot floppy. But youll need a newer version like dos 6.22 which supports extended memory. You can even create an msdos boot cd. Some bios instruction sets in newer computers might give you some trouble. Turn off all the networking settings. Dos this way will not recognize modern harddrives though. Youll have to save your c++ programs on a floppy and then boot to windows and copy them to your harddrive. The xp command.com does not have a full dos instruction set. It is less than functional for someone who wants to learn c from the ground up-get dos 6.22 and learn it-then take a shot at programing in C++.
I see you must mean,config.sys
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM
(Isn't that expanded memory ?)
Of course C:\Dos doesn't exist in XP.
I have sent this to many satisfied W9x and Me game users .
Not much else needs it.
:D

Back
Top Bottom