Why is xp slower?

you could have just said go to devisce manager lol. none of the things have any errors in device manager. i dont mess with the virtual memory, i dont know how to.

my free disk space is 26gb

also ive been running a spyware scanner, i have found 424 files infected andits not complete, its only just done one part if scan, its taken about 1 hour though.

ok, heres all the infected file details, so far ther are:
424 files
18 folders
14 registry keys
4 memory processes
these are all infected YAY MY COMPS GOT LOADS OF STUFF IN IT THATS MESSING IT UP YAAAAAAY.

Bre careful with spyware scanners and removers. Chances are once u have removed all the spyware, all the programs using them wun work.

well if the software is loaded if spyware then id rather pay for it. so that i get a version without spyware, not too bothered if the program wont work, atm i only need dreamweaver for my site and vb, thats all i use, the rest i think of as bonuses.

if u guys ask me windows xp sucks, it has an internal recovery system or at least with the ones i've seen. And that drive can get viruses in em which are hard to get out

it's true, viruses can get 'trapped' inside the system restore folder, (which is not accessible to users).

the way to get trid of this is to right click on the my computer icon (either from the desktop or start menu) select properties, select the system restore tab, and check the box marked tuen off system restore.
(this gets rid of the Virus)
then uncheck the box to turn it back on,
voilla the virus has gone and you have a new, virus free restore point.

no, when you turn off the system restore the files that were contained in the system restore folder are deleted and disapear into the Ether.

The problem with running a virus scanner is the virus scanner does not run as a group 0 applcation and hence is not allowed into the system restore folder - so the virus scanner doesn't find it when you run a scan - this is regardles of whether the system restore option is on or off.

When the system restore points are taken the folder is accessesd by windows, as the data moves around in the file it is loaded and unloaded (though not excecuted as would need to happen for the virus to actually do anything) the virus scanner (which sits watching the instruction cycles) notices the malicious code passing through the processor. (in the same way it scans the file) so the virus scanner reports you have a virus, and will recomend that you run a virus scanner.
However the virus scanner will not find a virus since it has no access to the system level restore folder.

that is why you have to turn off system restore (which deletes the files contained in the folder without excecuting them).
and also why running a virus scanner (at any stage of that process) will not find or delete remove or clean any virusses.

It was only a suggestion that you turn it back on in order to guard against the worst. you PC won't start properly.

Back
Top Bottom