Programming an OS

yeah...root seems right.

and also, just get any decompiler for the language you wrote the exe in and theres the code, like L.K. said :)

Itsme

Ok - first thing. The know the bars saying 'Windows XP Home Edition' or 'Windows XP Embedded' on the Classic Start Menu? It has the pictures in Explorer for every Windows Version! Its the same Explorer .exe in every one of them! :D

Then:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
<assemblyIdentity
name="Microsoft.Windows.Shell.explorer"
processorArchitecture="x86"
version="5.1.0.0"
type="win32"/>
<description>Windows Shell</description>
<dependency>
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity
type="win32"
name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
version="6.0.0.0"
processorArchitecture="x86"
publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
language="*"
/>
</dependentAssembly>
</dependency>
</assembly>

This is the RT_MANIFEST in the .exe. How funny! :D How boring the people who make this must be.

This is seriously interesting! I have yet to work out how to view the base code of it on its own; but I will in all due time.

not lazy, - clever, and surprisingly well thought out! A standard toolbar set like that will ensure seemless theme integration...

Since XP comes with several pre-installed themes (blue sliver and green) and it is posible to download signed themes that don't require a third party program such as samurize or styleXP.

actually, thats from XP, right? well theres the option in properties to view it in the "classic" view too, so maybe those ARE used when you change views ;)

Itsme

root said:
not lazy, - clever, and surprisingly well thought out! A standard toolbar set like that will ensure seemless theme integration...

Since XP comes with several pre-installed themes (blue sliver and green) and it is posible to download signed themes that don't require a third party program such as samurize or styleXP.
Yeah; if they are .mstheme files then you can just double click them and they'll be installed into the Windows/Resources Folder and work from the Themes Menu in Display.

It is a clever way of doing it - but not at all easy to figure out. I think I'll wait for my book to come through before I do too much (although I will some) thinking about Programming and make my brain melt.

The exe file isn't my doing, it's his! I need quite a lot of information about operating systems. How would I break open (or attempt to break open) Windows? Is there a way to do that?

Haha. You'd need to have the time to break open, using a version of Visual Studio (don't think any of the programming specific Visuals do it) every file in the Windows System and work out how they are connected to each other. :cool: I can't imagine it being too easy.

Back
Top Bottom