Video card help

Denier-of-Soup

In Runtime
Hey everyone,

I'm new to these forums. I found these because I really need some help with a new video card I got. It's a Radeon 9200 128mb, AGP 4x and 8x. The problem is that my motherboard gets until 2x only. I heard that all 8x video cards are backwards compatible, so I just wanted to make sure, will it work on mine?

Thanks in advance,

Denier-of-Soup

i think it will... but i'm no expert. a good idea is to ask the person/company you got the card from.

Denier-of-Soup said:
Hey everyone,

I'm new to these forums. I found these because I really need some help with a new video card I got. It's a Radeon 9200 128mb, AGP 4x and 8x. The problem is that my motherboard gets until 2x only. I heard that all 8x video cards are backwards compatible, so I just wanted to make sure, will it work on mine?

Thanks in advance,

Denier-of-Soup
Yes it will,but i think a mbd/cpu upgrade is next,or should have been your first upgrade.

Yes it will work.

As for the installation, follow these instructions.

-Uninstall every driver on your system. So the only driver loaded is the genric VGA driver.
-Install the new video card.
-When you startup the computer the first time. Say NO or Don't install windows drivers.
-Ensure that ALL of the old video card drivers are removed.
-Install the ATI drivers. I usually never install graphic card drivers from the CD, because they are usually a couple of revs behind the lastest version. Download the newest driver and run the install.
-Follow the instructions on the screen and that's it.

killerdoberman said:
Yes it will work.

As for the installation, follow these instructions.

-Uninstall every driver on your system. So the only driver loaded is the genric VGA driver.
-Install the new video card.
-When you startup the computer the first time. Say NO or Don't install windows drivers.
-Ensure that ALL of the old video card drivers are removed.
-Install the ATI drivers. I usually never install graphic card drivers from the CD, because they are usually a couple of revs behind the lastest version. Download the newest driver and run the install.
-Follow the instructions on the screen and that's it.
Lets not confuse,what do you mean Windows drivers.Isn't this a video card ? ?
Surfing the net in 16 or maybe 640 x 480 256 color isn't much fun,so
Use the video cd install,then get the updated drivers,you decide.
But don't do this exept for old video card.
-Uninstall every driver on your system
:rolleyes:

Windows XP doesn't surf the web at 640x480 x 16. It will adjust the generic VGA driver to run at 800x600 x 256 on a 17 monitor. Other size monitors I don't have personal experience with, so I can't answer the on other sizes.

The VGA driver in Windows XP is MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better then it was in Windows 3.1, which is about the same driver in Windows 98.

So the idea is not to install drivers that you will be deleting or removing in a couple of minutes after downloading the new version.

Remember, uninstalling a program in not 100% effective. There are a couple to many files that remain after a complete uninstall. And we all know that installing and uninstalling a lot of programs does one thing to our computer...it slooowwws it dooooowwwwnn.

Back
Top Bottom