IP Address

yeah, their both right - its an ADDRESS that allows you to be connected to the internet. Right now for (some) sites, you can just type in the IP in your browser and it will forward you. Its the same thing as it would be for a house, except that it is on your computer. For example, lets say you have a friend named Joe. Joe lives at 1234 Whodilly Lane
If this was acomputer, the name "Joe" (as in "lets go to Joe's house) would be something like "www.something.com" (as in lets go to www.something.com). In stead of saying "lets go to Joe's house", you could say "Lets go to 1234 Whodilly Lane", which would be the same as typing an IP address into an address bar in a browser (except it'll look something like 64.198.554.2). I hope I made that simple enough :p. Also, IP's can be used for other things (cracking=burgalry, etc). See what I;'m saying? :)

Itsme

yea almost all of you people have explained quite well what it is. Back in the day it was a 4 part coding that you had to type into the address bar and it would bring up the site. But eversince dns domain name service came around life is much easier

Back
Top Bottom