nikhibuk

Solid State Member
Athlon 2100+
Geforce 4 Graphics card
512MB ram
NForce2 Mobo
40 gig HD
Windows XP Pro

Hi guys, I'm really stuck and hope someone can help me out.

Ive' had AOL Broadband for about a year now. Recently (in the last 3 weeks or so) I have encountered a very unusual and annoying problem.

My problem is that AOL stops responding under load. If I'm simply using it to browse it runs fine however if I load up Kazzaa and start downloading files, after a while my download rate goes to zero, if I attempt to access a page after this nothing happens. This usually happens between 30 mins and 1 hour after I start downloading.

I try to close AOL and it says "AOL is not responding" and I have to do it via the task bar. Additionally once this happens AOL refuses to load up again until I reboot my system, and the system will not shut down properly, it just goes to the signing out screen and stays there.

Last night I was able to download from around 8:45 till 4:00 this afternoon without incident. I was hopeful the problem had gone away. I reset my connection and have now been cut off 3 times within the space of 2 hours when downloading. Here is a list to date of what I have tried:-

1) Changed filters and disconnected everything else from every phone socket in the house.

2) Installed 3 different versions of AOL and formatted the hard drive twice.

3) Had my phone line checked by BT.

4) Performed various tasks suggested by AOL which were never going to make any difference.

5) Run fault checks on my modem and AOL.

6) Run spybot to check for crap.

7) Threatened to beat my computer.

Aside from my next move which is to try a new ISP I can't think of anything else. I don't believe that it is an AOL problem though, but I may be wrong.

My drive is partitioned into 2 sections, I keep all my downloads on partition 2 and have not formatted that, could it be a virus that is on the other partition?

Sorry bout the essay but any advise would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Nik

Thats real easy,
Call AOL and ask them.tell them you will stop payment.
By the way "How did you make this post"???
:confused:

Like I said, when I'm only browsing there is no problem, and I can download for certain amounts of time.

I would cancel AOL but if it isn't an AOL problem then it's not going to get me anywhere.

Stop downloading and sharing illegal files and your problems wil go away.

That is what happens when 1000s of people access your harddrive and internet connection. Also you are not accessing noraml internet servers, you are connecting to everyday, virus infected, trojans impacted computers when you turn on Kaaza.

Kaaza allows the world to access your harddrive and internet connection, and you find that safe? Interesting...

Well, it could simply be that not many people using kazaa have the file, im sure you are familiar with how such programs work? attempt to download a file alot of people will have, e.g. a recent pop sound track. The only other thing i can reccomend is moving away from AOL, they are realllllllly bad and its possible they have taken measures to stop their users doing this kind of thing.

It is illegal after all (what a naught boy eh :eek:)

Thanks guys

Although I appreciate your comments regarding Kazza being illegal, I do not think that it is the reason my computer is crashing. Millions of users use P2P programs with no problems.

My problem was not the files being unavailable, it is my aol crashing. Your right though even without this problem AOL is crap and I will be replacing it soon, I just don't think this is an AOL problem and would like to get the issue sorted before I switch ISP's.

Look.

1. I dont give a shit if you download files + music illegally, and i gave you no hassle for doing it i was jokin.

2. AOL SUCKS BALLS. maybe if i put it like that you will understand? aol uses such software that is probably messing you up from doing this kind of thing. Remove all aol traces from your computer after you change ISP and you wont have a problem, may i recommend wannado or BT.

Make sense?

Computerfreak you are totally mising the point. I appreciate you were joking but there are others who were not.

I am not saying that AOL is great, if you re-read my post. I know they are shit, I have been a member for a year afterall but have been unable to cancel before this month as they tie you into a year contract.

My point was that before I change ISP I want to make sure that it is an ISP problem, otherwise I am going to go through alot of grief changing ISP and still have the same problem I have now.

Make sense?

I think you are totally stupid.

there was one comment made that kazaa is illegal and you shouldnt use it, not "comments"

If you have done all the above and it is "aol crashing" is that not completely obvious that it is there software that is at fault?

Let me say it in terms you may understand.

AOL = NO WORK WITH KAZAA :(

Make sense?

Where did I mention anything about comments, I said others, which could be any number of people.

One thing I would have thought a "computerfreak" would know, is that it is not safe to jump to assumptions when dealing with computer faults. Just because AOL is not great doesn't qualify to be automatically responsible for any problem.

As it happens I think I have located the problem and it is not AOL at all. From viewing other sites it appears that my modem, BT Voyager 100, does not like P2P programs, although how it has been working fine for a year seems strange. I borrowed my mates Speedtouch modem and have been using it for the last few hours with no problems.

Thanks again to everyone for their comments.

Back
Top Bottom