Your Views: Which Is The Best OS?

root said:
I see non penguin next to Lord K...

clearly he is a windows lover, and clearly he provided the better argument. it must be the amount of practise he gets in the subject matter on here.

Haha! And there shall never been a Pengiun anywhere near my Avatar (unless David gets sadistic and changes it). Yeah; it must be! Maybe I've been here too long? :eek:

root said:
right...
If you want a stylish windows XP forget about the resource hungry styleXP and think about using samurize, this also allows you to create more advanced docked objects like weater information, time date and diaries and so on.
StyleXP isn't that resource hungry is it? I never noticed it when I had it on my PC. Haven't tried Samurize; I'll have to have a gander for it in a short while. But if you recommend it and it sounds good anyway; I'll give it a try.

root said:
I think that arguably the most powerfull windows OS to date is windows server 2003, and on a clean install there is less than 20 updates, and that takes around 40MB.
It has to be! I wish I had Windows Server 2003; I may see if my totally legal sources could get it for me ;). But onto the point at hand! I don't imagine it does have that many bugs in it; it is a brilliant system - I hope they use it a lot in Longhorn.

root said:
if you say it's not been around long enough then we'll lok at windows XP, the update list for this stands at around a hundred and takes around 150MB.
Is it a hundred!? :D Wow; can't admit to ever counted it - but soon you'll need SP2 too to update your PC and that weighs in at 270Mb plus whatever stuff you need before that! :D Hehe. It just shows Microsoft loves its customers

root said:
compare this to the arguable the most powerfull link disro (Debian 3.0 r2) using apt-get update and apt-get upgrade give around a gig of updates.
also consider that when signed upto (if you don't think that Debian it the dogs then surely Red hat floats your boat) when I had red hat 8 installed there would be a small red (update me now) cros appearing about twice or three times aweek.
Haha! Thats quite a bit of updates. Wow; all this stuff to know and so little time to put it into my memory for future debates!

root said:
There was a case earlier last year whne a hack was introduced for Debian... It was a known crack that was long since fixed, that was re-added to the source after a senior contributors account was hacked. senior contributors don't get their work checked as thourally and so a major release went out with an exploitable know hack involved, - the fault lies directly with the fact that this was open source).
Of course; if you look through the code then its going to be easy to spot the problems and if you can spot the problems eventually however much a person has changed their own code its going to be easy enough to hack them. There are only so many ways you can clean a hole and unless you realise it and do it right then its not going to go.

root said:
A PC Magazine ran a security study, two webservers (out of the box) were tested, the security tester ran some simple scripts, the widows box was hacked within around one minute thirty, The linux box however only lasted 29seconds longer before it was hacked as well. -so linux may be more secure, but it is still weak.
1:30 against 2:00 is not that much difference is it? And how many Webserver Editions have Microsoft Windows brought out? Is this or is it not their first or at most second edition depending on how you view it? Hundreds of Years in the Server Business and they can only recieve 29 seconds extra? :D Haha!

root said:
as for the argument earlier that your webserver was getting malware spyware and virusses on it,...
Most virusses are designed specifically to target the windows OS - thats a simple numbers game trying to affect the most users. to have had the Virii downloaded onto your machine you must have been using it to surf the internet, - Servers are quite literally meant to be left alone to do their job, - Had you not used theserver to play around on the internet there would have been no trouble. and ofcourse the linux box did not pickup any spyware. for a start most spyware downloaders will be trying to create files in c:\ rather than /usr/home/ the directory it is looking for is simply not there.
Hehe; go root!

Haha - I'm not the one bringing these on! Other people are - I'm simply either backing up their comments like with Root (although he's too good and there's not much I can back up) or attacking comments against Microsoft or Windows or if it came to it Intel and nVidia. Just doing my job

DCHWeb said:
It seems to be speeding up, but i doubt anything will happen about the colors. I don't like the gray on white, it is hard to read. What do you think of the colors of my site? I am working on a redesign, but everyone tells me to keep the colors. What do you think?
Yeah; quite nice colours on your site! :D The red crazy bar psycs me out! :eek:

Where is Microsoft in your Internety Directory? ;)

the windows 2003 server I have is leagal, part of the MSDNAA (the uni I go/went to bought the achedemic allience license, so I was licensed to use it whilst I was a student, and am licensed to keep my coppied disc, and continue to install and use it for as long as I like for non-profit reasons).

I generally don't download the updates, microsoft likes its customers so much that they allow them to request the updates on CD (and deliver them for free)
So I have SP1 on CD, and all te windows update (Upto march 04) on another CD, which also shipped with a nice copy of the computer associates professional firewall for my evaluatoin purposes.

however in the interests of fairness and on the subject of CDs...
in the dark days of base band I had a friend who bought a copy of redhat in the morning one day, the CDs arrived at his house in the first post the next morning. Redhat managed to send CDs from america to britain faster than he could hae downloaded the ISOs! - Now thats service!

root said:
the windows 2003 server I have is leagal, part of the MSDNAA (the uni I go/went to bought the achedemic allience license, so I was licensed to use it whilst I was a student, and am licensed to keep my coppied disc, and continue to install and use it for as long as I like for non-profit reasons).

I generally don't download the updates, microsoft likes its customers so much that they allow them to request the updates on CD (and deliver them for free)
So I have SP1 on CD, and all te windows update (Upto march 04) on another CD, which also shipped with a nice copy of the computer associates professional firewall for my evaluatoin purposes.

however in the interests of fairness and on the subject of CDs...
in the dark days of base band I had a friend who bought a copy of redhat in the morning one day, the CDs arrived at his house in the first post the next morning. Redhat managed to send CDs from america to britain faster than he could hae downloaded the ISOs! - Now thats service!
Yeah; mine would be legal too if I could get it form this guy (I'm not in the business of being hypocritical and going on about how great Microsoft is (which is it) and then buying illegal Microsoft Software) but it wouldn't be at normal price :)

Haha! They are just, way out there aren't they! All the nice people at Microsoft.

I heard from sources Longhorn Build 4074 was on release for anybody who would be happy to try it out? For all the life of me I can't find it? Would you know where I can download it? :D

Obviously, you can note the difference in his number of posts versus mine and anyone else on my side. However, i would like to point out that your name implies linux, as "root" is the super user in control of all aspects of the system. :p

root said:
a good place to start would be http://www.windowsbeta.microsoft.com where you can sign up as a beta tester.
I'm already signed up for that; and the main Microsoft Beta Program with emphasis on Windows Testing. I did it again today; last time I did it I probably put down my age as 16. So when I did it again today I put my age down as 24. ;) Hopefully that'll get a better responce.

But I've heard it is possible to just download it and test it for them - probably just this bloke going mad.

I like linux simply becase it's powrefull and free.
I like windows because it's powerfull and easy to use.
Currently on my PCs I have windows 98 on one older on, windows XP on another, windows XP on my main PC. W2k advanced server dual boots on that as well, I have windows 2k3 on my main server.

I have redhat 8 on my Linux server. I tried redhat 9, but found that they appeared to have broken the NTFS components, so I didn't keep that for long. I've started to use redhat fedora, and will duel boot when I've cleared a little space on my main machine...
Either that or I'll duel boot Debian Linux. If I could get my Broadband USB modem to work with Linux then I'd make my main server that.
I have a Suse live eval, and a copy of Damn smal linux, this is so that I can 'rescue' systems that have gone wrong.
I've said all the way through this debate that they both have their srong and weak points, it seems so far that the only argument to be proposed here for linux is that 1 windows has lots of updates (though as I've pointed out linux sometimes has more), Linux is open source (though as I've said before I don't actually know anyone [besides a few lecturers] who could actually understand the source).
Linux loks better (although there are just as many themes available for XP)
Windows is hackable (but a magazine did a study and linux was only 30seconds more secure)
So far I've seen no decent argument that convinces me that Linux is far superior to windows.
(conversl I've seen no arguments that say windows is far superior to linux).

Back
Top Bottom