Your Views: Which Is The Best OS?

right...
If you want a stylish windows XP forget about the resource hungry styleXP and think about using samurize, this also allows you to create more advanced docked objects like weater information, time date and diaries and so on.

I think that arguably the most powerfull windows OS to date is windows server 2003, and on a clean install there is less than 20 updates, and that takes around 40MB.

if you say it's not been around long enough then we'll lok at windows XP, the update list for this stands at around a hundred and takes around 150MB.

compare this to the arguable the most powerfull link disro (Debian 3.0 r2) using apt-get update and apt-get upgrade give around a gig of updates.

also consider that when signed upto (if you don't think that Debian it the dogs then surely Red hat floats your boat) when I had red hat 8 installed there would be a small red (update me now) cros appearing about twice or three times aweek.

There was a case earlier last year whne a hack was introduced for Debian... It was a known crack that was long since fixed, that was re-added to the source after a senior contributors account was hacked. senior contributors don't get their work checked as thourally and so a major release went out with an exploitable know hack involved, - the fault lies directly with the fact that this was open source).

A PC Magazine ran a security study, two webservers (out of the box) were tested, the security tester ran some simple scripts, the widows box was hacked within around one minute thirty, The linux box however only lasted 29seconds longer before it was hacked as well. -so linux may be more secure, but it is still weak.

as for the argument earlier that your webserver was getting malware spyware and virusses on it,...
Most virusses are designed specifically to target the windows OS - thats a simple numbers game trying to affect the most users. to have had the Virii downloaded onto your machine you must have been using it to surf the internet, - Servers are quite literally meant to be left alone to do their job, - Had you not used theserver to play around on the internet there would have been no trouble. and ofcourse the linux box did not pickup any spyware. for a start most spyware downloaders will be trying to create files in c:\ rather than /usr/home/ the directory it is looking for is simply not there.

^^ did you know that the post i just made above was the 20,641st post on this site. :D :D

does that mean that you penguin boys have lost the argument and are swiftly trying to change the subject?

Lord Kalthorn said:
I have to agree also! Good Windows vs. Linux Discussions can only go for so long. We have had them before and will have them again; I think this one has got about far enough.

I don't think Lord K would like it if you called him a penguin boy

I see non penguin next to Lord K...

clearly he is a windows lover, and clearly he provided the better argument. it must be the amount of practise he gets in the subject matter on here.

Back
Top Bottom