Linux uninstall

spacemonkey1

Beta member
I have a secondary computer sitting around the house, and I have recently installed DSL (Damn Small Linux) on it. I now wish to sell this computer

how do I go about removing the DSL from the hard drive so I can clear it?

Isn't damn small linux only booting from the CD?

If you want to erase everything so you sell it with a blank hard disk i recomend that you have a look at Boot and Nuke from http://dban.sourceforge.net
you create a boot disk and it securely erases everything on your hadr disk.

but if he used a boot loader the boot loader wil be there still if he does just use fdisk and delete the entire partition

JTR

Fdisk will just erase the partiotion table.
formating will only erase the flie start information and re-write the TOC (Table of contents) the only way to truely erase a disk is to zero it, there are other programs available aside from the one I posted, if you do not zero a disk then data is recoverable using disk foresnsic techniques, you can actually use shopbought programs to recover information from drives that have been re-partitioned uing Fdisk, and recover information from drives that have een formatted.
The type of erasing you'll want to do may depend very much on the sensitivity of the data contained on the disk, for instance you may not want your work/buisiness information falling into the hands of whoever happsens to end up with your PC after you sell it.

Lets just hope that one of us (maybe even me? :confused:) is a Peadophile and now you've told us what to do! :D

You learn something everyday. There I was thinking DOS was the best way to wipe it; and now I know otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom