Your Views: Which Is The Best OS?

Yes, I am aware of that. One question though, I personally could not find any, do you know where I can get one?

That would actually scare me if microsoft began making games compatible with linux, however, it would be good marketing, wouldn't it, assuming linux becomes more popular?

DCHWeb said:
I would like to say a couple of things here:

First of all, Linux comes in different "distributions" not "versions."

Second, Windows is better for the masses because the masses are used to it, am I right? If you were used to getting up, getting dressed, and going to work, how would you feel if suddenly, it was illegal to get dressed? Now as for those that have grown up on linux, the learning curve is nonexistant.
That is a good point; but I also believe its safer (as I have already said) for the masses; who will not edit the code, will not pay for people to do so, and would not be able to trust any Programmer or Discribution because of the problems and trouble they could cause. With Windows; however much people hate Microsoft for some unknown reason to me they know they are safer than on a Linux based machine because there has been no malicious code built in; no leaking of personal information built in; no timed meltdown to allow the Computer Programmer to make money by fixing it.

DCHWeb said:
If the ratios of users were flipped, wouldn't this conversation also flip? Windows is best for gaming, because the majority of the market uses it. Honestly, if you were a gaming company and you knew (I am just making these numbers up) that 1 out of 20 people use linux, would you make your game exclusivly for linux? Of course not, what kind of business is that?
I don't imagine the conversation would flip; because the ratios couldn't flip; because Linux is not safe enough, stable enough, or built on a stable enough business model to be put on 95% of all computers and face more than 99.9% of all Viruses, Trojans and Bugs created everyday.

DCHWeb said:
Also, as for security, linux, like all unixes, has built in stuff for that that windows just plain left out. Now, with the continued development of the NTFS, i can see how file permissions are being worked in, and with Windows XP having its little "firewall" it would appear that microsoft is attempting to compensate for this.

Both systems have thier ups and their downs, I don't personally think that one is better than the other overall, just that one may be better for some things than for others.

I personally like the choices that linux has to offer. There are so many different GUIs, and different shells, and I can decide how I like it one day, and then the next day change it alltogether, and have it function the same. I once attemted to change my shell in Windows, and the whole computer went nuts. Thay may have been some quirk or flaw in the shell itself i suppose, but that turned me off from that sort of thing on my windows box.[/QUOTE]
You can get difference GUIs for Windows; you can get different Shells for Windows; and you can change these things however much you want - even a basic user can. Which Windows version did you change? How did you try to change it? :p

As you said; its a personal thing when you get to the ability of most of us. It is the job of Windows and Microsoft as a whole to change the views; not of most of you old people who like Linux because you're still rebelling against the power of Windows but for the younger generation of future professionals who may change to Linux. To show that they have the ability to give you the stability you need; the security you need; the power you need; and the space to do what you want that you need. This won't work with twits who believe they are more powerful if they have 'the code' of the OS and so they need it to inflate their own egos (directing that at nobody here; but some people we have had on here, Captain Morgan, hint hint).

We can only wait to see, eh? :D

That is very true, many people do feel safer on windows because it is closed source, but not me. I really like the security of having multiple different distributons, no two being alike. That would just be even more difficult to attack masses of people. Also, when I first started running my webserver, I ran it from my windows XP machine. Not knowing any better, i simply used the built in windows firewall. That caused some unhealthy results in my entire network: viruses every other week, lots of spyware and scumware, etc. Now that I have moved my server to my linux box, also with the built in firewall, I have had no such attacks. I only got one virus since then, and that was my fault, and have had very little scumware.

As for modifying my desktop, I have tried a variety of things, ranging from as simple a theming software, like WindowBlinds, to actually replacing the shell. I was getting settled in with BlackBox on my windows XP home edition, and began to use it as normal when i noticed that many programs weren't recognizing the different shell. They would use the windows classic theme, and the icons were enormus! Also, every time i try something like that, my graphics quality drops tremendously. I don't know, maybe I just don't know what I am doing :p

I am not going to explain this too deeply, I had to type a whole page on every forum I go to, but Windows is simply the worst OS ever, it has so many bugs, it is so expensive, for the price you pay for it, you should be able to see the source code, but no, Bill is a marketing jenius and that's the only reason Windows sells, Windows is always rushed out to make money, never fixed before selling, ever played with Microsoft Xbox, yes, it is the most powerful gaming system, well try to play GTA vice city on it for two hours straight, even the Xbox OS crashes, Windows Media Player? the worst Player ever, Internet Explorer? this will explain.

Linux is stable, fast, powerful, FREE!
and you get the source code!

Heh, that is why they make a linux distro for the xbox. I agree that windows is rushed out. If they spent more time in the alpha and beta testing stages. How long ago did they release the first version of windows xp? and how long did it take them to release SP1? Now look, we are getting ready for SP2 already... For a commercial company, isn't that a bit fast? I mean I can see some linux distribution companies working fast, but that may be because everybody and his brother, if he wants to, can help out.

As for internet explorer...thats just a bad idea there. I have written an article about this: http://webletter.dchweb.com/?issue=2

Big-J said:
I am not going to explain this too deeply, I had to type a whole page on every forum I go to, but Windows is simply the worst OS ever, it has so many bugs, it is so expensive, for the price you pay for it, you should be able to see the source code, but no, Bill is a marketing jenius and that's the only reason Windows sells, Windows is always rushed out to make money, never fixed before selling, ever played with Microsoft Xbox, yes, it is the most powerful gaming system, well try to play GTA vice city on it for two hours straight, even the Xbox OS crashes, Windows Media Player? the worst Player ever, Internet Explorer? this will explain.

Linux is stable, fast, powerful, FREE!
and you get the source code!
Copy it and show us?

How many bugs per user does Windows have? How many Bugs per user does Linux have? It is expensive because unlike Linux; Windows pays for many services that people use for free; Windows Media Player, Windows Update (does Linux have this? :D), MSN, Technet, MSDN, Internet Explorer, Numerous Windows built in things, and the Services which are free for Windows Customers including the helpdesk. It is also expensive because its the best; and caters to 95% of the world allowing for innumerable combinations of Software and Hardware on an insane range of Computers and an incalculable number of different major uses.

If you can see the Source Code; so can Crackers. If Crackers can see it on an OS so widely used then there is no hope for the users.

Rushed out? This is not the case for Longhorn; which has been in the design and creation process already for just under 3 years - and won't be out for just under 2 more. Has any Linux distribution or version taken this long; or even half as long? Don't use that.

Marketting Genius? or even Jenius; why use a line like that when you're against Windows? Thats the only bit I agree on! :D

Worst Player ever? I've had no problems with it. Internet Explorer; never bothered me. Has either of these things ever done anything bad to you? Or made you think they are inferior?

Bring on your essay why don't you; let us see if you can really bring in a good argument.

DCHWeb said:
That is very true, many people do feel safer on windows because it is closed source, but not me. I really like the security of having multiple different distributons, no two being alike. That would just be even more difficult to attack masses of people. Also, when I first started running my webserver, I ran it from my windows XP machine. Not knowing any better, i simply used the built in windows firewall. That caused some unhealthy results in my entire network: viruses every other week, lots of spyware and scumware, etc. Now that I have moved my server to my linux box, also with the built in firewall, I have had no such attacks. I only got one virus since then, and that was my fault, and have had very little scumware.
The built in Windows Firewall is no serious cop for a Server; even I have to admit that. :p Perhaps you have had no such attacks because its not Windows; and not just because its harder to Break into?

That argument doesn't seem to make you agree with me saying it; why should it make you agree with you saying it? I have never had a major Virus on my Computer ever before; does that make Windows better?
DCHWeb said:
As for modifying my desktop, I have tried a variety of things, ranging from as simple a theming software, like WindowBlinds, to actually replacing the shell. I was getting settled in with BlackBox on my windows XP home edition, and began to use it as normal when i noticed that many programs weren't recognizing the different shell. They would use the windows classic theme, and the icons were enormus! Also, every time i try something like that, my graphics quality drops tremendously. I don't know, maybe I just don't know what I am doing :p
Maybe! :D Use StyleXP; that has worked for me for months now.

DCHWeb said:
Heh, that is why they make a linux distro for the xbox. I agree that windows is rushed out. If they spent more time in the alpha and beta testing stages. How long ago did they release the first version of windows xp? and how long did it take them to release SP1? Now look, we are getting ready for SP2 already... For a commercial company, isn't that a bit fast? I mean I can see some linux distribution companies working fast, but that may be because everybody and his brother, if he wants to, can help out.

As for internet explorer...thats just a bad idea there. I have written an article about this:
DCHWeb said:
Is that or is that not a good sign? The faster major updates come out from Microsoft the harder it is for Crackers to get into out PCs. Would you prefer it to be slower? :p SP1 and SP2 are regular, as the name would suggest Service Packs - to Service XP. That meaning they Update and Patch the Security Problems with XP which Crackers have got around in the fullness of time with the evolving technology.

Even if these were fixing physical bugs and not just huge lumps of Updates to the changing technology around us like they are; whole new Linux versions are made in that time - so there's not much to say anyway is there?

Ok, it's starting to get harder to argue with Lord Kaltorhn, but us Linux-Supporters don't mind! :) :)

Ok Lord, you made a very stupid comment about how many bugs each OS has. Unlike what you may think, Windows has FAR more bugs. When I was installing Windows XP on my laptop, then installing the Service packs (A fancy name for oops-we-screwed-up-real-badly-'cuz-we-let-crackers-in--heres-a-solution-that-will-screw-up-in-a-year-too), and I looked at their list of "fixes". Trust me I learned of bugs i never even imagined Windows would have. The list took me a long long time to read.

Ok for the Windows Media Player. First off it looks HORRIBLE. Even if you adjust the skins, it looks like some 8-year old made it. Second off, if you bring in just one file that it can't read, it immediately freezes up and forced you to exit...like....wtf?? Doesn't even tell us half the time what the problem is.

""If you can see the Source Code; so can Crackers. If Crackers can see it on an OS so widely used then there is no hope for the users.""

lol, well that's the whole point. If you can see the source code, you can tweak it around and make a whole new "version" of the distrubition you're using, which would most likely NOT be intresting to hackers because they would have to teach themselves how to hack into a whole new security system just to get to ONE computer. On the other hand windows, as I said before, is the same ol' OS, and the cracker communities all share the exploits they find.

""It is also expensive because its the best""

What kind of statement is that?? Yes maybe the best in terms of number of dumbasses who bought it. But that's a very foolish and premature statement to say.

And I hate to dissapoint you, but almost all linux distributions come with 2X the preinstalled software as WIndows. If you want to I'll make you a huge list to prove it. So you pulled that fact right out of thin air.

Back
Top Bottom