is ending explorer.exe advisable

shockingu

Baseband Member
I cant be bothered buying software for like £30 just to hide all my icons and windows, so i just do ctrl + alt + delete and in the process tab i end process to explorer.exe, but for the windpws to disappear you need them all minimised.
I find this really use full and easy to undo, you just click file and go to New Task(...Run) and in the little popup box, type either explorer or explorer.exe i want to know if this is safe, it hasnt failed me before, but is it good for my os (that is windows xp).
i wouldnt advise it to people as i only experiment on my computer, the poor thing has had thousands of windows opened in seconds and me crashing it several times lol, IM CURIOUS, SO KILL ME!!! lol.

an overall is, is it okay for me to end process to explorer.exe and then starting it up again.

why don't you just enable the show desktop quick link on the quick link menu on the start bar?

Not really

I can see what you mean, but i have a disabled sister, i had to leave my computer and she was in the room eyeing it up lol, so i did it and she couldnt do anything. thats why i have to use it. if i had just done show desktop(EXCELENT BUTTON) then she could have still accessed all of my open windows.

It probably is ok; not recommendable but ok. Question is; why do you need to get rid of the icons and windows all in one foul swoop quickly? ;)

Because...........

In my last post it states why, if i left my computer doing windows update, my sister might endtask, or she might click something on the desktop and she knows that the enter key will open(I THINK) so if she uses that and nothing opens she might hold it down, openin loads. and this might be loads of paint shop pro or everything on my desktop, thats 67 items. and my pc is slow enough.

I think that there is a multiple desktop windows power tool, you could just switch desktops...

this wont stop anyone opening lots of programs though. the best way to stop people opening programs is to hold down the windows key and press L before you leave you PC!

i know, but not much use when someone can just log on, and i dont want to put up a password

If you disable fast user switching and disable the welcome screen then when you Control Alt Delete you have a window which includes a Lock Button. Then you can lock the computer.

Back
Top Bottom