mini disk/usb flash drive

mpendleton

Beta member
I just purchased a mini disk and that is the only name on the box. It is in a white and orange box and was wondering if any one has had dealings with this product? My main concern is the fact that I purchased it and got home to try it out and it did not work when pluged into a usb port. Windows told me the hardware malfunctioned however; I never could get it to work. Took it back to the store and it was replaced with a like item that was tested before I left the store and was confirmed to work. I then get home and hook it up to my pc and once again mulfunction and not working. I was then told my USB port has a reverse current and shorted the mini disk out? Is this possible? Also why do other things work with the usb ports I have tried to use and I have no problem? Items used are digital cameras. Also I tried this product on my pc at work witch is a brand new Dell running windows xp and also tried it on my dads pc and it still did not work with the first one and the second mini disk. Any one have any ideas please let me know what you think.

You probably have a usb 1.0 and need a usb 2.0 port-if other items work correctly the salesman was b'sing you. You can get a usb pci card pretty cheap and just plug it into a pci slot.- If the unit did not work at work was this after it "blewup"?- and did you install the software which came with the unit.

Gary, Thanks for the reply. The USB ports on the front have not really worked since my brother put the motherboard in. I took the pc to the shop and the owner looked at it free of charge and found that the wires for the front USBs were hooked up wrong so he fixed that. After he did that he retested a new jump drive and it worked fine. I do have another question after all this. Do I need to make it a habit of avoiding plugging any (pc) equipment into the front USBs of other computers out of fear of it getting fried? The jump drive I have is in a orange and white box with the name mini disk on it so I don't really know who made it. Is this a lesson for me to always buy name brand like Kingston?

mpendleton said:
Gary, Thanks for the reply. The USB ports on the front have not really worked since my brother put the motherboard in. I took the pc to the shop and the owner looked at it free of charge and found that the wires for the front USBs were hooked up wrong so he fixed that. After he did that he retested a new jump drive and it worked fine. I do have another question after all this. Do I need to make it a habit of avoiding plugging any (pc) equipment into the front USBs of other computers out of fear of it getting fried? The jump drive I have is in a orange and white box with the name mini disk on it so I don't really know who made it. Is this a lesson for me to always buy name brand like Kingston?

Probably best to put the heavy stuff in the back but still; don't bother about being scared as to what you put in the front ones - they're just as good as the other ones in the back.

The front ports are usually connected with wires which are polerized.
If the assembly was incorrect and the - and + leads were reversed that was the problem after hooking them up correctly the problem is fixed and the ports are fine. Sadly a unit was lost but hopefully that didn't come out of your pocket-Tell your bro the next time he builds a computer to be more carefull in hooking up the wires to the switches and usb ports.
A add on pci 2.0 usb is the safest way to go its impossible to hook that up wrong. If it was a factory unit the guy on the assembly was hung over or something. The back ports are "hard wired" most of the time to the mother board-very safe, but as you experianced the front ports are hand wired from the mother board and if its done wrong-well, you know. As for the quality of a given piece of electronics-sometimes cheapo is actually better. Ive had expensive equipment broken new in the box and some "cheap" stuff last for 10 years. Its in the cards. Just don't try a trip to mars and put your life on your data unit.

Back
Top Bottom