Your Views: Which Is The Best OS?

Lord Kalthorn, GaryG explained half my point.

I think you are thinking I don't like Windows at all, which is incorrect. It is excellent software for certain purposes. As I mentioned earlier it is the best for gaming and some everyday tasks like music, movies, ect. But it has it's limitations. Let me explain:

Like GaryG said, companies can customize the OS they're using to their needs and make customized security that no ones knows. On the other hand with Windows, you can't really change it around. Like you can't make your login screen function diferrently or something of that nature. And people know how Windows works, so hackers just need to break into the same type of system every time.

Also Linux is better for servers and networking, and majority of big companies (including banks, science facilities, telecommunication, ect.) use Linux.

And I wouldn't call Asian techonology bad. Japan is considered to be on the technology edge. American companies send call for Russian & Indian programmers.

GaryG said:
The best os is the one you happen to be able to afford.
No money- but youve got 98-then its the best.
Linux is to hard to set up correctly for most people.
However the reason linux is starting to capture more market share is because at the current time it is a more secure system. look at all the posts right here on this board at the current moment Ive directly tried to advise 3 people how to undo damage. However as the use of linux increases so will the crackers attempts to compromise it.
Open source has 1 big advantage to large companies though.
They can hire programmers to modify it to there needs.
You can't do that with microsoft products or Unix legally.

We've all advised people on problem - but all can be solved. With Linux can you say that; that whatever the problem it can be solved? AT last somebody else has said it! 'As the use of Linux increased so will crackers attempting to compromise it' Will Linux be able to keep up with the problems which Windows encounters every day and every week and every year? That is the question; I hope I don't have to see the day when we can test that question.

rakedog said:
Lord Kalthorn, GaryG explained half my point.

I think you are thinking I don't like Windows at all, which is incorrect. It is excellent software for certain purposes. As I mentioned earlier it is the best for gaming and some everyday tasks like music, movies, ect. But it has it's limitations. Let me explain:
I don't think you don't like Windows at all; you wouldn't be using it if you didn't. I'm sorry if I give that point over.

rakedog said:
Like GaryG said, companies can customize the OS they're using to their needs and make customized security that no ones knows. On the other hand with Windows, you can't really change it around. Like you can't make your login screen function diferrently or something of that nature. And people know how Windows works, so hackers just need to break into the same type of system every time.
This is true; and I'm sure Companies think they're doing great by doing it. I'm sure in time Windows will realise this flaw in their marketting and will fill it with a Windows Longhorn or whatever Work Edition or something. I can only hope they will - because it does not make me happy to realise this whole in the great and brilliant buxom of Microsoft Windows. People don't know how Windows works - that the inherent security which keeps it up and running through the troubles that it has seen. With Linux; yes more experienced users can edit the Programming to suit their needs - but most people can't and with Open-Source it allows a dreadful amount of possibilities for crackers.

rakedog said:
Also Linux is better for servers and networking, and majority of big companies (including banks, science facilities, telecommunication, ect.) use Linux.

And I wouldn't call Asian techonology bad. Japan is considered to be on the technology edge. American companies send call for Russian & Indian programmers.
Networking? I realise Servers but Networking? Can't admit I ever used Linux for a Network; maybe it is good? :p

I would! :D Don't get me started with the Japanese. India is a Subcontinent and I don't count it as Asia because it was British. Russia is European; as Tsar Peter made it and also doesn't count.

You have some very fine points there, Lord Kalthorn, but I have one question: Have you personally ever used Linux (for longer then 2-3 days)? If so what version of it?

True true, most of Russia's population does indeed live in Europe, but they have some of the most talented programmers in the world anyways :p :D.

I have redhat and suse is that good enough for you?

and yes i had it running for quite a while on a decent spec machine i didnt like it because its like using a mac which i also have.

one thing i will say linux networks very easy its a lot less involved than windows but its still an operating system i can live with out.

sorry im a microsoft fan always will be even if so of there systems have been less than great.

i still use windows 3.11 wfw on my 386s its a great operating system and its nearly 14 years old.

rakedog said:
You have some very fine points there, Lord Kalthorn, but I have one question: Have you personally ever used Linux (for longer then 2-3 days)? If so what version of it?

True true, most of Russia's population does indeed live in Europe, but they have some of the most talented programmers in the world anyways :p :D.

I have used SuSe at Rocker's discression for about 4 maybe 5 days; it was good, reasonable, and ok. I couldn't use it on the internet because I have broadband and I wasn't prepared to piss about with it. Didn't try many of the built in things. Don't know about older versions of Office but bloody hell did it take time installing Office. It was, in no uncertain terms, nothing special.

Yep - can't beat a good Russian.

Compaq said:
I have redhat and suse is that good enough for you?

and yes i had it running for quite a while on a decent spec machine i didnt like it because its like using a mac which i also have.

one thing i will say linux networks very easy its a lot less involved than windows but its still an operating system i can live with out.

sorry im a microsoft fan always will be even if so of there systems have been less than great.

i still use windows 3.11 wfw on my 386s its a great operating system and its nearly 14 years old.
Good words; just had to say that.

I can't see how you can assume windows better if you only used one version of Linux.... SuSe isn't a very good one either. I would advise you to try out some of the accualy good versions of Linux before you start praising about how Windows is better. :D

unfortunitley the best linux systems cost money
If they have a nice graphical interface and are complete with software
you'll pay almost as much as for windows. Staples sells Redhat linux for $99.95. Ive looked for linux systems on there website and since I have dsl downloaded a couple of iso files burned and installed them.-Im still a fan of windows for easy installation and use.

But if I owned a large corporation and I was worried about security
I would choose linux because I could hire IT experts to patch problems and create software to my specifications and not have to pay microsoft or ibm licensing fees which are giagantic. Go to the Microsoft or Ibm corporate web sites-call one of their representatives-the prices will give you a hernia.
Plus by being able to access the open source it can be modified to an extent that crackers would no longer know what to do with it. The last time I checked there were over 100 different flavors of linux.

I would like to say a couple of things here:

First of all, Linux comes in different "distributions" not "versions."

Second, Windows is better for the masses because the masses are used to it, am I right? If you were used to getting up, getting dressed, and going to work, how would you feel if suddenly, it was illegal to get dressed? Now as for those that have grown up on linux, the learning curve is nonexistant.

If the ratios of users were flipped, wouldn't this conversation also flip? Windows is best for gaming, because the majority of the market uses it. Honestly, if you were a gaming company and you knew (I am just making these numbers up) that 1 out of 20 people use linux, would you make your game exclusivly for linux? Of course not, what kind of business is that?

Also, as for security, linux, like all unixes, has built in stuff for that that windows just plain left out. Now, with the continued development of the NTFS, i can see how file permissions are being worked in, and with Windows XP having its little "firewall" it would appear that microsoft is attempting to compensate for this.

Both systems have thier ups and their downs, I don't personally think that one is better than the other overall, just that one may be better for some things than for others.

I personally like the choices that linux has to offer. There are so many different GUIs, and different shells, and I can decide how I like it one day, and then the next day change it alltogether, and have it function the same. I once attemted to change my shell in Windows, and the whole computer went nuts. Thay may have been some quirk or flaw in the shell itself i suppose, but that turned me off from that sort of thing on my windows box.

Acctually, DCHweb, there are compilers out there that can take windows software and compile it to work with Linux. Now, this technology isn't advanced enough to compile every single game, but in 1-2 years, it will. And when that happens, most companies make games automatically available for linux (except, of course, Microsoft Games). :D

Back
Top Bottom