New here just one question

tonyone

Beta member
Hi i've just installed a new hard drive 80gb to replace my 20gb drive,I have partitioned it up into 3 drives C,F and G all partitions are fat32.

My question is if i store all my music and photo's on the F and G drives and have to do a clean install of Windows xp can i just format the C drive and install XP there,So my music and photo's will still be on the other drives when i've reinstalled.

Hope this makes sense to someone,i've never had partitions before just had the 20gb as one big partition.

hope someone can answer this question and i hope i've posted it in the right place.

Thanks Tony

Yes you have

Yo did it right as C,F and G is a smart move.The only problem is if you install again is makeing sure you are formating C.
Please ask first as fdisk can be confussing.
:)
p.s.Just use F and G for Storeing,do not direct installations there.
They seem to prefer C:
:D

You have done the right thing. Separating your important files to a different partition makes your files more secure and easy to remember where you have put it. So in case something goes wrong and you need to format your main drive (c:) you don't need to back up your files to another hard drive. But as bluto said be careful as you may accidentally format your f and g drives.

Yeah; I use 4 partitions to direct many things to the right place to stop Viruses (if I get them; which I haven't been doing much recently) getting onto the C:\ Drive. Personally I recommend if you download stuff a seperate drive for that too.

Lord Kalthorn said:
Yeah; I use 4 partitions to direct many things to the right place to stop Viruses (if I get them; which I haven't been doing much recently) getting onto the C:\ Drive. Personally I recommend if you download stuff a seperate drive for that too.
Thats a good one for sure,why didn't i think of that being much more advanced in age.
From now on i will dl my files to a cd-rw disk.

bluto said:
Thats a good one for sure,why didn't i think of that being much more advanced in age.
From now on i will dl my files to a cd-rw disk.

Hehe; maybe you're going senile?

Thats a bloody good idea! :D I probably download too much for that to work but it is a good idea if you only download a little bit a day.

When you reinstall xp make sure you tell it to use the 32bit fat on c
Don't mix ntfs and 32bit fats-it causes troubles

Gary Graefen said:
When you reinstall xp make sure you tell it to use the 32bit fat on c
Don't mix ntfs and 32bit fats-it causes troubles
Glad to hear theres a choice,yes use FAT32 if your into games for sure.
I've heard of many game probs useing NTF.You decide.

Back
Top Bottom