Assigning a Strong SA password... HOW!!??!!

tommy2x

Beta member
I'm having many aggravating moments attempting to assign a strong SA password in order to start an SQL server on a second PC here in my lovely, GeekHQ basement. Trying to learn this on my own, but I need pointed in the right direction...

Thanks

It depends. I am in charge of about 50 SQL servers and they all have different passwords. They only make sense to me and are a combination of numbers and letters. You do need to remember it and/or write them down.

What is the need for such a "Strong" password. Are you nervous about someone finding it out or hacking in?

Ummm... Rocky, I think that you misunderstood. It really doesnt matter to me what the actual password is... Ill just pick that at any given time. Im having trouble assigning it to the computer, the directions that i was trying to follow off the microsoft website do not seem to work for me.

Are you getting an error message? Have you already installed it or is this error happening while you are installing it?

Its not getting installed no, not even really getting to the point of an error message. The instructions i was following earlier was to run some dos commands, which just came up as invalid when i tried to run them. Do i need to have some kind of SQL server app installed on the machine in order to assign the computer a strong sa password? because i dont right now...

Ok, now I am a little confused. If you want SQL server on your computer you need to install it (preferably by a disk). Then it will take you through some GUI steps 1 of which will be creating an SA password.

Are you trying to install SQL server (2000, or 7.0)?

What is the link you are using for the directions. That might help me understand more

Back
Top Bottom